ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm not driving anyone nuts with the clutch related questions! I picked up a clutch kit which included the pressure plate assembly, clutch plate, throw-out bearing, and alignment tool for $140 after taxes. The parts are all new.

I am preparing to replace the clutch this weekend and I was going through the Haynes manual, noticed one thing I had a question on.

The write up mentions supporting the engine at the oil pan and the transmission with jacks. Once the mounting bolts are removed they state to simultaneously lower both jacks until the tranny can be withdrawn from the rear.

1. I am doing the replacement on an unpaved driveway and I am concerned the jack(s) won't move freely with the weight/pressure if it's required and
2. I wasn't sure if I had to move the tranny that far away from it's mounting point.

I guess what I am asking is: Is "simultaneously lowering both jacks" what y' all did?

Thanks for any advice!

Post Edited (Mar 15, 9:40pm)

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
it's not that bad, just a lot of work and a lot of bolts that are a pain in the ass to break loose
once you drop the tranny I think you should replace the rear main seal since it's right there, however I don't know how many miles you got on your car but I would change it. my .02

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I'll take a look into doing that once the tranny is dropped. If it's not terribly much more work or money I would definitely be interested in doing so. The car is high-milage and I've learned to replace anything that I can get my hands on that has a chance of wearing out.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
you know what Ive learned with this car is to always double check to make sure you have all the parts you need and to start EARLY in the day so you can rush over to a parts store or the dealer and search for parts you may need. This isnt specifically for you Ive just found that when I plan to change something that SHOULD take a hour or two it ends up being twice that cuz I dont plan ahead accordingly. haha

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right there 100%!! I have noticed the very same and that is why I have had so many clutch related posts asking what may seem like simple questions. I want to try and cover all of my bases prior to having the car half-way in pieces! The plan is to start Saturday morning but because I need to have the flywheel resurfaced and there isn't a machine shop in town that will do that on a Saturday or Sunday I've allocated this weekend, all next week, and next weekend to take care of this clutch job.

It is my first time so I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.