ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my excitement about the 280 I bought last month. I have been a Z fan a long time ... I've had two '82 turbos, an '86 & '87 turbo, a '90 base and a '93 convertible. I loved all of them, but have the most fond memories of my 280.
I've been watching the internet for over a year with an eye toward buying an 82 with around 60K. But instead found an 83 turbo, original owner, with 13,900. When I got the pix in the mail my mind was made up. I had to have it.
The car is incredible. It was driven every few weeks and in between was stored under cover in a garage in Omaha. It was never driven in rain or snow. It is a Jade Gray 5-speed and is absolutely new! It literally looks like it just came off the
showroom floor. The steering wheel and gear shift even still have the tacky new rubber feel to them. The seats look like they've never been sat in! I paid $10,000 for the car and feel it was worth every dime.
I've changed the plugs, dist. cap and rotor and am sticking (for the most part) with Nissan parts. The plug wires are $110 so I'm waiting a bit to change them out. It wasn't on blocks, so the struts are weak and I'm going aftermarket since Nissan's struts for those cars don't last very long.
I haven't changed out the fuel filter and am a bit worried, but it has been driven semi-regularly all these years so any damage has already been done. I do plan to change it out soon.
The car doesn't purr yet, but doesn't have a regular miss, it just doesn't idle like a new car. I'm hoping that's the plug cables. Once I change them and the fuel filter and air filter out I'll run it to Nissan and see what they say. I don't see any vacuum lines off and they all seem to be in excellent shape. I am concerned about the injectors being lacquered but have heard that cleaning solvents can be damaging.
If any of you have advice please let me know.
Anyway, I love the car and hope to have it for a long time. ...And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Nissan's new Z proves to be worthy of the name!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Brian,

You've done what I've always wanted to do, and what I always advise wannabe serious Z-car (or any other type of classic car) buyers to do, but could never afford to do myself. About a year ago, I saw a $10,000 low-mile '82 ZX turbo — the identical twin to mine except mine had more than 100,000 hard miles on it when I got it and the for sale car looked like new. Even the same blaring red with the black/silver interior. Boy, was that a heartbreaker. I hope my car will look that way, but it's gonna be someday rather than tomorrow, and a lot of $$$ down the road.

Anyway, I applaud your decision, and congratulate you on being patient and not falling in love with a complete beater like I did. Monetarily, phsychologically and every other way, you came out ahead — plus you can drive the thing! I'd do it exactly as you've outlined, by the way, tho don't know if I'd hold out for Nissan plug wires. Otherwise yeah, take it to the dealer, let them check it out and then wipe off the drool. What a find!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I saw that car on the web site and thought very seriously about buying it, although I see that you beat me to it.

Actually, I did buy a car that was posted on the site that is similar, but not quite the car that you have. I it is the twin of your car, except that it is a non-turbo and has 50,000 miles on it (Gray w/silver and black leather interior). Fortunately, it has really been taken care of too, except that it was always parked on the left side of the garage, so the right side of the car has a few more dings than I would really like. Anyhow, you have a gem there, enjoy it.

kordon

BTW, does the Auto Temp Control system work right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.