Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I searched the archives for this but couldn't find this specific problem.

I have a 72, I just recently replaced all the suspension bushings with urethane. I also put new struts in on all 4 corners. I just went with the Monroe struts. The ride is better however when I go over the "speed humps" there is a difference between a speed hump, and bump. or go into a parking lot faster than usual it seems to bottom out hard in the rear with a very disconcerting bump.

Now I didn't put bump stops in the back because I didn't know they were supposed to go there. The old ones were long gone. I assume this is the problem but it seems that it shouldn't bottom out as easily as it does. They are the stock springs so I haven't lowered it.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Re: Bottoming out with stock springs and new shock

The stock springs are probably too soft. They weren't that stiff to begin with, but over the years all the fatique has taken some of the spring out of them. On my 78 I replaced all the suspension, when I took out the stock springs I put them on a spring press to see what they measured 140 lbs/in I though they were supposed to be around 180 lbs/in (could be wrong on the stock spring rates though) but at any rate they were significantly weaker than new stock springs. This situation will damage your new struts before long.

Matt

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Bump stops!

Thanks for all the advice. I got those bump stops from MSA for the front. The rear ones weren't even there. I guess they fell out long ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.