ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm about to install my new Sony radio in my '94 with Bose. I'm using the Scosche Factory Amp Interface. The colors of the wires in the factory harness don't match the colors in the shop manual. I have most of wires between the Sony adaptor and the Scosche adaptor "spoken for" (power, ground, speakers), but I have a few wires left over. Which goes to the "audio relay", the power antenna?

Anyone have a schematic of wires from a new radio to the factory wiring??

If I thought long and hard, I'd probably figger it out, but my brain might explode. HELP!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I just did this last night and my FSM doesn’t match up either, so I took an educated guess some of it, but this is for a 90.
Red=ACC
Yellow=Battery
Black=common
Blue/white=power antenna
2 like color wires=+- speakers
purples (4 total)= front door speakers.
gray and white pair=rears
You should be able to match the decks wires with the manual that it came with.
I had some wires left over like orange, which I haven’t found the use for yet, but it all sounds good.

Post Edited (Jan 30, 5:13pm)

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
orange or yellow are usually for the illumination (like when you turn your headlights on) it turns the faceplate illumination on, and some have a dimmer feature.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Sony doesn't have an illumination wire, so orange is out.

The factory wiring has one wire (blue w white) to activate the Bose amplifiers and another (blue) to raise the antenna. The Sony also has two (same colors).

The Scosche connectors have a blue and blue/white wire. BUT they give a caution:

"If your stereo has a wire for power antenna control and a wire for amp remote, connect the amp remote wire to the blue wire of the OEA-4 input and DO NOT use the power antenna control wire from your stereo. DO NOT connect the power antenna and amp remote wires of your stereo together. The OEA-4 interface will operate the amp remote and the power antenna to your vehicle with the single blue wire."

This doesn't make sense to me. If I don't connect the blue/white wire to anything, how is the amplifier gonna know to turn on??

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
well, are you using an aftermarket amp? if not then who cares, connect the power antenna wire and leave the amp wire unconnected. I am assuming you are going to go in and disconnect the stock amps anyway, because power output from your head unit will exceed the stock amps and will sound better. (as good as could be expected from the Blose system).

If you do want to keep the stock amp setup, then connect both to the blue lead, when the head unit turns on, it will raise the antenna and provide the turn-on lead to the stock amps.

I'd REALLY recomment gutting the stock amps, somewhat tedious, but VERY worth it in the end

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm keepin' everything stock except the radio. I'm an old fart and not into all the audio stuff that you youngsters do. Thanks, though. It's takin' time, but I think it's gettin' clearer.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
well its not really getting into it, its more like getting the most out of your stereo investment. Disconnecting the stock amps takes about 10 minutes per speaker, and results in much better sound. It's just a matter of pulling the door panels which is pretty easy. The rear speakers are even easier because there's only a few nuts to take off to access the speakers.

I however did run new speaker cables through the entire cabin and an aftermarket amp to power everything. Mine was more necessary because I got aftermarket speakers all around too. To each his own!

Post Edited (Jan 30, 5:54pm)

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
lol, I don't think so (I could be mistaken), but I believe you can just disconnect the amps and simply attach the speaker wire inputs (going from the deck to the amp) to the speakers. Essentially you're bypassing the amp and going straight to the speakers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed everything tonight and it went perfectly. I used the space where the CD player was for the Scosche Adaptor connectors and the XM boxes. Eventhough Crutchfield said the Sony wouldn't fit (1/10 inch too long) it went fine.

What a great feeling when you attach everything, turn the key and the darn thing lights up and PLAYS!!!

I'm gonna put a blank plate over the opening or maybe use the face of the CD player to cover it.

I didn't finish the trim pieces yet, I have to run the wiring for the antenna.

OK, found a piece of sheet plastic to cover the hole.

Post Edited (Feb 4, 7:54pm)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.