ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the manual say for the wieght and style of tranny fluid to use , i am getting ready to put my car back together and i dont have a zxt manual handy. by the way the T-5 is in my 75 280z turbo project. thanks

~Kenny

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Borg Warner T-5 WHAT FLUID TO USE??

I've reached this myself since the manuals are so poor.........

-Use Dexron3/Mercon ATF for performance. Brand? Your choice.
-75w/90 gear oil is acceptable according to the factory, but I use ATF in mine with great results.

Bryan
Datsun Z Garage

·
Registered
167 Posts

How did you get a T-5 into it? I ask because I hope to use one on my 74 and need to know if there's a trick to it, or maybe a book.

·
Registered
887 Posts

ford uses type F trans fluid in there T5s from the factory and it has a higher thermal breakdown due to its slight increase in viscosety,IE, thickness.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: Redline MTL-only if you want the best.

I bought my 82 zxt with 172K miles on it and the T5 would want to grind a bit when it was cold when shifting to 2nd. This would disappear after a mile or so of warmup.

I drained the ATF and replaced it with Red Line ( differential as well) and the grinding went away. I have to believe the tranny is a little more happy with it.

The Manual says either ATF or 90W is ok, although Ford apparently only recommends ATF. Perhaps high mileage trannies will benefit from the 90W.

enjoy the ride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.