ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have been told that the driveshafts will not interchange! however I do not know if the differential mounting point for driveshaft is different on turbo than regular 280.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
> Has anyone put a Borg Warner in a 280z? I
> know it will fit, but what about the drive
> shaft? Thanks.

The shaft from an auto car will fit the borg warner, but the length will still be wrong. The BW tranny used a longer driveshaft than a 280. You will need to have one made or have an original turbo driveshaft shortened. Also the rear mounting doesn't line up exactly. You will have to reweld a new rear crossmember to fit right or slot the engine mounts and rear mount enough to make it fit. I use a modified rear mount, but have heard of people keeping all front and rear mounts loose until everything is lined up, then tightening everything. The mountinf difference is only like 1 or 2 inches, but enough to cause problems. Good luck.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
625 Posts
You don't need it anyway

The shift quality is not as good as the datsun tranny.If its the lower gearing you are after just swap in a 79 input shaft and front countershaft gear onto 81-83 tranny.you will get the following 3.428:1 2.067:1 1.46:1 1:1 .83:1 .if you want even lower gearing swap in the 260 tranny parts for 3.71:1 2.236:1 1.58:1 1:1 .90:1. >later ,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> The shaft from an auto car will fit the borg
> warner, but the length will still be wrong.
> The BW tranny used a longer driveshaft than
> a 280. You will need to have one made or
> have an original turbo driveshaft shortened.
> Also the rear mounting doesn't line up
> exactly. You will have to reweld a new rear
> crossmember to fit right or slot the engine
> mounts and rear mount enough to make it fit.
> I use a modified rear mount, but have heard
> of people keeping all front and rear mounts
> loose until everything is lined up, then
> tightening everything. The mountinf
> difference is only like 1 or 2 inches, but
> enough to cause problems. Good luck.
> greg
> 71 240z

I put a 280zx turbo in my 280z last month, and I wanted to put the borg warner but didn't because of the drive shaft. I wanted it because it is a stronger transmission, then I would go with the 3.36 rear end. Thanks for all the info. I think I will try and find an automatic drive shaft and have it shortened.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.