ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this might be a stupid question but I have never worked with bondo so I really don't know. Anyway, I got a pillar mount for my gauges but they don't exactly fit. I had to heat the plastic and cut the excess to fit (some what) on top of the pillar trim. Now, I wanted to blend the edges of the gauge mount to the pillar trim so it looks like it's one piece. Then I would sand it smooth so there is no seam and paint the whole thing black. Would bondo hold up or would it just crack? If so what else could I use to smooth out the transition? Any ideas? If this don't work I'll have to get another mount so I can start over....which would really suck!

ratedZ
83zxt

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is turpantine and PC-11? Sorry, never done body work before so I don't know what your talking about. Where could I find PC-11? Thanks again.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
turpentine, sorry I can't spell. It's a paint thinner. PC-11 you can get it from hardware store. not HomeDepot

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
we use liquid plastic.. go to the auto body supply store and get you some.. wear gloves it likes to stick..

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Bondo is a trade name for plastic body filler. Whether you use Marson, Bondo, or anyone of the others, the problem you will find is that it can set up REAL hard, depending on the amount of peroxide hardener you use. The amount of hardener will also "cook" it quickly and shorten your working time dramatically.

I once saw a guy working with it and he had like a quart of the stuff out and was adding a full small tube of the hardener to it by the time I saw him. I tried to tell him, but he was already mixing it in, the whole stuff set up in like 5-8 minutes, and boy was he pissed.

The problem with using plastic body filler on your dash like you are talking, is that the surrounding area is softer plastic, and will flex much more than the bondo, eventually you'll have cracks where the two will separate.

Check out some of the stuff that JoeyTekno and Jeff260z mentioned. These are probably better for what you are doing than bondo.

I would personally recommend some sort of mechanical installation, such as screws, brackets etc, then if you still want to hide the union, use some of the fillers that are specifically made for the softer plastics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.