ZCar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it correct to say that the common body side rub strips were always glued on by the Dealer?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Window sticker for my 1980 shows the Blackout Package, which has the body side moldings, factory installed.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
941 Posts
The most common aftermarket side moldings are aluminum with a plastic insert. They are riveted on, not glued.

·
Registered
267 Posts

These are riveted as noted above. I always assumed they were aftermarket. They were on the car when I bought it in 1987. Still going strong at 281k miles!

Reactions: pilgrim

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
941 Posts
I've had four Z-cars: '71, '76, '82 and '83. All had the same type of riveted-on side moldings. Those were the common type in the 70s and early 80s.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting.

Well, I think I understand. My education continues.

I appreciate your thoughtful and knowledgeable replies.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
941 Posts
Incidentally, the plastic inserts in those side moldings usually shrink over time. The ones on my '83 are half an inch or more short at each end (guessing from memory).

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Most but not ALL. Mine were installed by my brother-in-law at his Chevrolet Dealership in Camden, Maine in 1973 while I was there on a cross country visit. They were stick on type and came in a roll. I remember watching the whole process. He used some kind of cleaner to remove the wax and took what seemed like hours to install. He is quite the perfectionist. I guess that’s good because they are still on there!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is it correct to say that the common body side rub strips were always glued on by the Dealer?
I was told if you wanted this option when the car was new that it was applied at the dealer. I talked to someone who used to work in the body shop of a dealer who said they hated to drill holes into the side of a brand new car. This trim was on my 1978 280Z and I'm going to have to fix the holes that run down the side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How in the heck did you do that, and how old were they at the time? I suspect the ones on my '83 are rock hard by now.
[QUOTE="pilgrim, post: 2778404, member: 46124"?
How in the heck did you do that, and how old were they at the time? I suspect the ones on my '83 are rock hard by now.
[/QUOTE]
Mine is an 81 and I have stretched them in the last 12 years. It has been garage kept most of its life. Start at the ends pulling and work your way inwards. You will need to go back to the ends to move those out as you move inward. I never thought I could stretch them until some told/showed me. Mine were probably 1/2 inch short on each end. Good luck and let me if you have luck.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
From 1970 to 1983 there never was a factory option side molding except for the 82-83 cars which is what Borini63 showed a pic of. The side molding installed on anything earlier than that was a dealer option put out by the individual dealers. It is not stock. To be considered stock it had to be sanctioned by Nissan and purchased from Nissan by the dealer. There were 2 types of side molding that they installed. The riveted or screwed in aluminum channel style with RUBBER inserts, (not plastic) and the glued on style that used double back tape. I'm not aware of anyone that sells the rubber inserts anymore. I do sell the glue on style in black or silver but it's smaller (and looks much nicer) than the ones that were being installed by the dealers. There was a way for the dealers to edit the window stickers before they were installed on the cars. When I worked at the dealership back in those days, we sold some cars that had sunroofs or half vinyl tops listed on the window sticker and I know for a fact that neither one of those was a factory option. My black pearl that I bought new had the special appearance package and rubber side molding listed on the window sticker, and the dealership owned body shop put all of those items on. The SAP was a factory sanctioned option and it was purchased from Nissan. The side molding was carried by the body shop in rolls or kits depending on the style of side molding. Z man of Washington

·
Registered
801 Posts
From 1970 to 1983 there never was a factory option side molding except for the 82-83 cars which is what Borini63 showed a pic of. The side molding installed on anything earlier than that was a dealer option put out by the individual dealers. It is not stock. To be considered stock it had to be sanctioned by Nissan and purchased from Nissan by the dealer. There were 2 types of side molding that they installed. The riveted or screwed in aluminum channel style with RUBBER inserts, (not plastic) and the glued on style that used double back tape. I'm not aware of anyone that sells the rubber inserts anymore. I do sell the glue on style in black or silver but it's smaller (and looks much nicer) than the ones that were being installed by the dealers. There was a way for the dealers to edit the window stickers before they were installed on the cars. When I worked at the dealership back in those days, we sold some cars that had sunroofs or half vinyl tops listed on the window sticker and I know for a fact that neither one of those was a factory option. My black pearl that I bought new had the special appearance package and rubber side molding listed on the window sticker, and the dealership owned body shop put all of those items on. The SAP was a factory sanctioned option and it was purchased from Nissan. The side molding was carried by the body shop in rolls or kits depending on the style of side molding. Z man of Washington
Can you talk a little bit about the vinyl top Zs? I've seen a few of those. That is a dealer option? Was it done before sale or could you ask for it to be done and for how much? I'm assuming these were a bad idea for rust issues, no?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts