ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
905 Posts
Dont know if you think this one looks like crap, nor do I care, but its what I got.

Came from MotorSports Auto, if it looks like something that strikes your fancy.

· Registered
492 Posts
....very,very nice......i've been looking @ that one....did you put it on yourself or do you think it would be difficult to put on....and did the pieces fit well w/o modifiying them.....s

· Registered
613 Posts
Yes....

Yeah I got the same body kit on my 81, looks great, but it does say file fit, and just file and fit, i had a problem with the hood opening after i put the airdam on, but I am getting that fixed, looks great, makes the 280zx look like the best z out there

-Emir

· Registered
492 Posts
Re: Yes....

oh yes it really makes 'em sharp!...how do the side panels go on ...adhesive?...also could it be put on w/o the wing?
...(i was thinking about louvers down the rear hatch) ...anything special needed in the way of tools?......s

· Registered
905 Posts
I had the kit put on when the car was repainted, so I didnt do it myself. But the guy that did it didnt have any problems putting it on. Except the side pieces were a little long (only talking about 1/8- 1/4") . Because of that the areas in front of an d behind the door bowed out a little. So 4 rivets were used on each side to snug it up to the body. 3 on front and 1 in back. He filled them in and blended them into the body to make them virtually invisible.
Tell you what, I get ALOT of stares, not looks, but STARES when driving this car around. Most people dont know what the **** it is. I have yet to be "revved" at a stoplight by anyone. Which is kind of disappointing considering I have a nice strong freshly rebuilt engine full of good stuff. :)))

And yes you can get the kit without the wing. Although, to me, it loses some of the intimidation factor without it. And it does blend in with the lines of the car quite well.

· Registered
492 Posts
...i just rebuilt my motor and put in a new turbo,cold air k&n,new clutch,injectors...struts/shocks,ball joints and urethaned all of the soft pieces,new rack & pinion....then it got COLD...so i went after the interior and put in new seats,dash (cover),carpet,head liner and i painted all the hard plastic w/vinyl paint (worked better than i thought it would)..and made new door panels....still gotta put in a better boost gauge,fuel pressure, and egt then paint the dash....i've got an inter cooler to go in it after i 3" my exhaust and replace the muffler and cat...then its either gonna be a quaife lsd... or .."the kit" and paint (i'd like to have it @ 300+hp before i put the kit on)....if you got a car that looks like that i figure it better be able to "walk the walk"....
....i can pull-off a $1000 mod every 2-3 months (buy the kit or whatever)...but i heard getting it painted and the body work was outta sight....i was hoping to "get by" a little on that by getting a kit.....just about all the rust spots will be covered by the side pieces...i was gonna cut 'em out and por-15 the bad places.........
......i found new fenders for $90...this kit doesnt have the fenders does it.....does it have flares?.....i've been looking @ 2 kits ( i like yours the best) but the other has fiberglass (bigger) fenders so i could put much larger tires on it.........but i've never seen good picts of it (from the different angles).....not to be nosey but how much did you have to pay (or much much do you think it would normally cost)..if i already had the kit....to get it put on and have it painted? w/a "little" body work............s

· Registered
905 Posts
Ok. I bought two new fenders, hood and right rear quarter. Had patches done on driver rocker panel and passenger floor board. The hatch area right next to taillights was swiss cheese all the way across, and patched. fixed some light surface rust spots around left rear fender lip. Patched spot where rear subframe mounts to body under driver seat.

All trim was pulled off body so no paint lines showed.

Body kit cost me $475 (MSA had sale at the time)
Labor rate was $23/hr
Total for parts, kit, and labor was $3600

This all occured 4 years ago as well.

A friend did this for me at this rate. Obviously, anyone elses price will be different. I just had the opportunity to get this done at a good price and took advantage of it.

When it gets nice enough for me to detail it again I'll get some better pics. The one posted above was taken 3 years ago, just before I blew up my engine. Perfect excuse for a new one:))) or maybe :(((((. Just wasnt ready for that yet.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is so tight please send me pictures! please! my car is a pile right now! which really sucks and it is hard when people don't have faith in me because i am a girl but i am still going to do it myself and make my car faster and better than everyone who doubts me, i love Z's they are the best! well thank you so much for your replies and the picture. please send me updates of your car and tell me what is new! thanks!
The Determined Girl Z Racer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.