ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I just replaced the valve stem seals on my '88 NA, but I'm still getting a horrendous amount of blue smoke when idling and accelerating for the first 5-10 minutes after pulling out of my driveway. I just did a compression test and all of the readings came back fine (around 180 PSI). I've deleted the AIV, EGR, and charcoal canister and replaced the PCV valve with two breather filters attached to the valve covers, so I don't know if any of that could affect everything I'm currently using 10w-30 full synthetic oil, and the motor has 232k miles on it. I've seen some people say switching back to conventional should solve it, others said my rings could be sticking, and my auto tech teacher said that it could still be burning off excess oil from it sitting while I changed the seals. My worst fear is that I didn't put the seals back on correctly and I'm gonna have to do them all over again. Do you guys have any ideas?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Blue (oil) smoke on startup is the common sign of valve stem oil leaking. That yours is lasting 5+ minutes makes me uncertain.

How long has it been doing this? How many cold start cycles?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Blue (oil) smoke on startup is the common sign of valve stem oil leaking. That yours is lasting 5+ minutes makes me uncertain.

How long has it been doing this? How many cold start cycles?
It’s been doing it since I put the seals in a week ago. It’s gone through plenty of cold start cycles and I’ve put about 70-80 miles on it since.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,056 Posts
Sounds like you had the blue smoke before the seal replacement. Is the smoke lasting longer than it did before the work was done?

It really does sound like seals, but for that problem to last so long after starting is unusual. Have you driven it enough to figure out what the consumption is? I'm wondering how fast it's using oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you had the blue smoke before the seal replacement. Is the smoke lasting longer than it did before the work was done?

It really does sound like seals, but for that problem to last so long after starting is unusual. Have you driven it enough to figure out what the consumption is? I'm wondering how fast it's using oil.
Well it’s gotten better now because I tapped one of the seals in tighter, but it still smokes a bit as I pull out of the driveway and goes away 2 minutes later.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have never tried doing this with the head on the car. It would add some complexity to the task. Then again, you don't have to pull the head.

Here is a link to an article that covers the operation fairly well.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,056 Posts
Well it’s gotten better now because I tapped one of the seals in tighter, but it still smokes a bit as I pull out of the driveway and goes away 2 minutes later.
In that case, I think you may have answered your question about the cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never tried doing this with the head on the car. It would add some complexity to the task. Then again, you don't have to pull the head.

Here is a link to an article that covers the operation fairly well.
That’s literally the exact article I followed when I put them in lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts