Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a 1982 280ZX Turbo parts car, it runs, but it makes a horrible inconsistent chattering sound, and it sounds to me like it is comming from the turbo, oh ya and the turbo will not give any boost at all, what do they sound like when they are blown? Does it sound like dry bearings? Second it looks like they can be rebuilt, is there a better impeller I can buy? Whats involved, just buying a new impeller and bearing? Looking for any information I can get, I would like to keep the stock casing so I do not have any problem with the Anal retentive CA smog laws.

Scott.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If it is not making boost and it sounds like a squeeling bearing, then the turbo is most likely shot. Yes, they can be rebuilt. To keep the stock compressor housing, you can go with the t3 "super 60". This turbo is good for about 350hp and looks stock from the outside. It has a much larger compressor wheel. Hope this helps. I can set you up with a good deal from Majestic, just let me know.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rebulding the Turbo

240Z Turbo,

What is involved? I can not see really any other parts in the thing other that 2 impellers, a bearing, and a oil tube, is this all there is to it? Where can you get the bearings?

Scott.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
RE: Rebulding the Turbo

It is not something you can do yourself. You need the equipment to balance the compressor and turbine wheel. These turbos spin up to 100,000 rpm, so balance is extremely critical. I have know people to rebuild their own turbo, some with success and some had nothing but problems. There is more involved with going to the bigger compressor wheel than you would want to tackle.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Rebulding the Turbo

Scott--
He is right about re-building the turbo. Those things have to be just right in order to function properly. There is more to it than just replacing the internal parts. If he is from Majestic Turbo in Irving, or knows someone there, I can vouch for them. I got my rebuilt turbo from them & they stand behind their product.

Good Luck
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.