ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got of the interstate tonight in my 82 Turbo.. started toolin down the frontage road going to the shop to top off my oil and change mah plugs.. running just as perky as my turbo has always been.. when it all goes downhill. After sitting at a redlight, I move to hit the go pedal, and the engine beins to run like crap, and a large amount of steam puffs from my exhaust. I stopped in at the first gas station to look and see if I could tell whats wrong.. no luck. The engine seems to misfire, and clouds of what used to be antifreeze poured from my tailpipe. The entire time there was nothing out of the ordinary as far as my guages go.. about 200F.. ~60psi of oil pressure.. *shrugs*.

Heres the question.. is there any water passages or anything near the intake/exhaust manifold gasket? Something where that gasket could blow and let water in to the intake? I just replaced that gasket three months ago... so my mechanic buddy questioned that. Once he looked the car over, he told me to move it across the yard to make room for another vehicle. When I attempted a start, it turned over, then had a "pause" then fired up.. kinda like it sucked in a large amount of water into one cylinder and was trying to compress it.

What are the odds the lines that go around and possibly through throttlebody ruptured somewhere internally letting water in that way? Any other somewhat easy way of being able to tell what the heck went wrong?

I am basically damned to the city buses until I get my Z running again... any help or ideas would be great. Thanks!

-il82

· Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm not a pro (although Tony D will tell you different) but it sure sounds like a head gasket problem to me. I can't think of where else the water could be coming from. And the hydrolock happened to me as well when I blew my numerous head gaskets.

But wait to see what others think.
Good luck.

· Registered
3,207 Posts
Hi IllushynZXT.
Gearhead is right. The " OR " part of your question could be that your intake manifold has cracks underneath where the water passages run and you can't see without removal of heat sheild and a good mirror. That is actually a common problem with the turbo initake manifold, however you mentioned SMOKE from the tailpipe so...... white smoke is a blown headgasket and often a broken piston rod as well..... blue smoke is worn and shot piston rings and valve guides or valve seals. Either will set you back some dollars, espicially with a turbo. Goodluck. shane-

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clarification..

Let me rephrase.. it was a very cold day today (as compared to normal Florida winters).. it wasnt really white smoke, but a very very thick cloud of "steam".. the same thing one would see if the car was just started on a cold day. The cloud smelled of antifreeze, and could be smelled even inside the car (didnt think that taillight gasket leak was THAT bad).

As for the engine, it still ran.. but rough.. as like on 4 or 5 cylinders. It still went into boost.. but slowly. I know I shouldnt have gone boost.. but I thought it was just stumbling and coughing like it has always done on cold and wet days like these. Since it all seemed to run fine (but very rough) I dont believe there could be a cracked rod or anything that serious. I had it to the shop and shutdown within 5 minutes of the first signs of the problem.

I hope it IS just the gasket.. and I can just tear it down, clean it up, slide a new gasket in there and bolt it all back up. :) I'm just a poor college student and cant have another non running car. hehe

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.
-il82

· Registered
4,289 Posts
Re: Clarification..

Do a compression test.

Remove the spark plugs. What do they look like?

Have you got coolant in your oil?

Can you see small bubles in your rad tank with the engine running?

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

· Registered
2,156 Posts
did you try retorqueing the head?

you may get a seal on it that will last you a while until you are ready to
pull the head if you just retorque the head. plus it should tell you instantly
if its the head. that is if the gasket isnt too far gone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.