ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuse for my side lamps and dash lights keeps blowing. Is this a common problem for this car (72 240)? If so, what could I look into to try to correct for it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> The fuse for my side lamps and dash lights
> keeps blowing.

At least yours blew the fuse, mine melted the fusebox instead. Look for a short, I've been told its usually in the taillight housings, they get hot and melt a little causing a metal-frame ground. Mine is in storage for the winter and I haven't tackled that prob yet.

good luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Mine had the same problem when I got it, it turned out to be some cracked insulation on the wire leading to one of the side lights. When the car was being prepped for painting, the lights were pulled loose and left hanging down. While they were hanging the wires scraped against the sharp metal of the opening and frayed just enough.

The short probably isn't in the wire bundles running through the car (unless it was in an accident?) but more than likely around the switch or at the individual lights. Pull the lights out one by one, clean the sockets and look for frayed insulation or any obvious shorts and you might get lucky.

Good luck! It's a pain, but it feels SOOO good when you get all of those lights working!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Re: Blowing Fuse in 72 240Z

> The fuse for my side lamps and dash lights
> keeps blowing. Is this a common problem for
> this car (72 240)? If so, what could I look
> into to try to correct for it.

> Thanks.

I also melted my fusebox when I had the same problem. Before the meltdown, I'd see the fuse glowing orange. It looked neat, but I didn't think that it was very good for the electrics. Many people swear by pulling the fuse box and re-soldering the connections. As the connections get old, the resistance increases. The current increases with the higher resistance, and the fuse blows.

Try the fusebox first. It's easier than trying to track down an intermittent short.

BTW: I changed my fusebox and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I had the same problem on my 71. If your fuse box hasn't melted yet and your wires
haven't been chewed open by mice (like mine) you should check all your parking
light bulb connections. I had one socket that had rusted out and was causing increased resistance. Addititionally, you can leave the clear fuse box cover off to
keep it a little cooler (sometimes every little bit helps). I haven't had to replace that
fuse since and my fuse box was slightly melted before the fix. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.