ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the blower motor on my 75 280Z w/ a 02 honda civic motor as is an upgrade discussed on this forum. It feels like I am getting more air than before but far less than I had expected. Works fine , several speeds, quiet but not enough air flow for my liking. I have replaced all the duct hoses and have tight seals at joints. Wondering if perhaps the original wiring doesn't provide enough juice for the motor, I have an actuator door hanging open. or the duct work design won't let it happen??? I have an 98 Acura and on high it wants to blow me out of the car.

·
Registered
825 Posts
if you feel around the plastic bit where the hoses connect, do you feel any air escaping anywhere? the standard upgrade now is the Kia Sportage motor - its considerably better than the honda one and requires no soldering. that said, if you are concerned about a loss of power, pull out a multimeter and see if the power connector to the fan is getting 12v

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you feel around the plastic bit where the hoses connect, do you feel any air escaping anywhere? the standard upgrade now is the Kia Sportage motor - its considerably better than the honda one and requires no soldering. that said, if you are concerned about a loss of power, pull out a multimeter and see if the power connector to the fan is getting 12v
Thanks. Yea pretty much felt for air leaks but might be some. Maybe try the Kia sportage blower.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Look for the blower doors not in right position. You might be getting the air out of the heater openings down below. Try checking the blower in the ‘heat’ position and see if the air volume is more. If so then perhaps it IS just the blower door position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the civic blower motor and have a slight improvement over stock. The new aftermarket civic motor i installed had the blade curved the wrong way. So it runs backwards if that makes sense. Still pressurized the air box but probably not as much as if the blade curves and fan rotation were proper. Check the fan blade curve as compared to stock.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
995 Posts
On some fans you might be able to remove the "hamster wheel" fan blades, flip them over and have the point the opposite direction. Not sure if this one would allow that.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The duct design is horrible. If you've taken out the center vent on a 280Z, it's plain to see why. Several years ago I was in your position - looking for a better interior blower fan. I originally went looking for the "Civic Blower "upgrade"" and had the Civic blower in my hand when I discovered the Kia Sportage blower. Search and you'll find threads on the subject.

The Kia squirrel cage is slightly larger but has MANY more vanes and moves much more air that either the stock blower or the Civic blower. The Kia blower uses the same polarity and connector as stock. But, you have to modify the blower housing slightly to insert the larger blower wheel. It uses "brute force" to overcome some of the poor duct work design and flows more air than the stock blower or the Civic blower.

I have access to a new center duct designed by a local mechanical engineer (and 280Z owner). I've tested it in my personal 260Z. It is an amazing advancement for late-dash Z owners (260-280Z). Look for this product to become available for sale under the Ultra-Heaven brand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt because I haven't done this mod but I seem to recall reading the Civic blower motor was a good upgrade over the 240 but minimal compared to the 280.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts