ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '82 280ZX non-turbo. I had to replace my rear driver's side caliper. I have never bleed brakes before. I cannot get all the air out of the brake line. When I depress the brake pedal a lot of air comes out. The pedal has no pressure. As a last resort I disconnected the caliper and stuck the brake line in a jar. TONS of air. I think this tells me that the problem is not with the caliper. I checked the passenger side and all I get is fluid, no air. I have gone through six 12oz. bottles of brake fluid. Does this seem reasonable? Do I just need to keep at it or is there possibly something else wrong? Thanks in advance for any help!

Randy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have an '82 280ZX non-turbo. I had to
> replace my rear driver's side caliper. I
> have never bleed brakes before. I cannot get
> all the air out of the brake line. When I
> depress the brake pedal a lot of air comes
> out. The pedal has no pressure. As a last
> resort I disconnected the caliper and stuck
> the brake line in a jar. TONS of air. I
> think this tells me that the problem is not
> with the caliper. I checked the passenger
> side and all I get is fluid, no air. I have
> gone through six 12oz. bottles of brake
> fluid. Does this seem reasonable? Do I just
> need to keep at it or is there possibly
> something else wrong? Thanks in advance for
> any help!

> Randy

Randy, thanks for the response to my question. I will deffinatly try that idea! I purchased a one man brake bleeder at the local Kragen for 5 dollars. It should help you with your bleeding problem. Also, check with a brake shop or mechanic's shop. They should be able to give you some advice.
Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I had kind of the same problem once. My son was pumping away at the brake pedal, I was keeping the master cylinder topped off and watching the jar of brake fluid (and the bubbles coming out of the tube). This monotony seemed to go on forever. I was beginning to wonder just how much air was in my system! The problem turned out to be me. I had the bleeder screw opened up too much, it was letting air in when my son let up off of the gas pedal. Maybe you can try that? I also have a friend that has someone modulate the brake pedal slowly up and down while he mans the bleeder screw. He listens to the pedal and opens the screw when the pedal is being depressed. He then quickly turns the screw closed before it is being let up. He can bleed brakes almost as fast as I can with my new 'mitey vac' hand held pump. From what I understand my friend acts just like those one way check valve bleeder screws you can buy now. Anyhow, one of these methods should help you.

Good Luck,

DR

> I have an '82 280ZX non-turbo. I had to
> replace my rear driver's side caliper. I
> have never bleed brakes before. I cannot get
> all the air out of the brake line. When I
> depress the brake pedal a lot of air comes
> out. The pedal has no pressure. As a last
> resort I disconnected the caliper and stuck
> the brake line in a jar. TONS of air. I
> think this tells me that the problem is not
> with the caliper. I checked the passenger
> side and all I get is fluid, no air. I have
> gone through six 12oz. bottles of brake
> fluid. Does this seem reasonable? Do I just
> need to keep at it or is there possibly
> something else wrong? Thanks in advance for
> any help!

> Randy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Similar to DR's response, With the bleed screw closed all the way, have someone pump the brakes until some pressure builds up and then hold the brakes in while you open the bleed screw, release the air and reclose it. Repeat until no more air and the brakes feel right. Good Luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
1. Open bleeder valve 1/4 turn.
2. Have someone push brake peddle to floor.

DO NOT RELEASE BRAKE PEDAL!!!!
3. Close bleeder valve
4. Release brake pedal.
5. Repeat steps 1-4.
This is the proper way to bleed brakes. Releasing the brake pedal with the bleeder valve open will draw air back into the system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.