ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad and other observers tell me the white bumper should not be black over the tail pipes and it is running rich. No codes and I reset the ECU and it idles at 850 smoothly on start up. There is no smell of gas and the gas cap is tight. What sensor should be adjusted?? It has had some of the pollution devices (ERG and AIV?) removed. Still has carbon can and Cats if that helps with the suggestions.The cat sensors were changed out 20k ago. The car just smells like old car pollution when I park it. There is no gas smell.Thanks for the advice..

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you can test them thru the ECU. Have not done.. From what I read in the search it looks like the AIV delete causes rich running. The car use to cold start at 1300rpm and then drop in 1 min to 850rpm. They were put in 2 yrs ago. How is your car by the way Salvadoran300zx. Very sorry to hear about the wreck but glad it was not totalled and you are all right. Are the parts coming along? Post Merry Christmas to you!!!

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
well my car will get fixed till january when the parts arrive from Japan... so I'll have to wait till then and then wait two more weeks to get her painted... again -.-'

but hey, btw, do you have anyway of testing the fuel pressure? your dampener or regulator might be on their way out and rising the fuel pressure, maximizing the injectors causing the rich condition of the engine.

what about the mpg's? have they dropped?

and MERRY XMAS TO YOU TOO! =D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will see if the neighbor can show me how to check pressure. I don't know if you change the dampner and fuel regulator at the same time but I changed the dampner from the OE about 2 yrs ago due to leaking raw fuel. It solved the problem of smell and hard starting which brought it to my attention. The mpg are steady at about 22 mix driving. 250 miles at 1/4 tank and refill about 12 gallons

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
22mpg mix is average for a higher mileage NA. Your bumper is white, the car is old, you are probably burning a tad bit of oil. Nothing to really worry about. AIV delete only causes rich IDLE and thats only because theres no air pumping into the cats to burn off unburnt idle fuel. Honestly though I wouldnt worry about it.

Is the black stuff chalky or greasy/wet? If its chalky like road dirt/grime I'd worry even less about it. If its greasy, you probably just have a slight bit of blow by (not causing smoking) but are burning a slight bit of oil. Like I said, its high mileage and its pretty normal on an older vehicle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the advice. It is just black dry soot that comes off with wax. I know it is losing oil somewhere from the last few oil change people but they don't know where? It is past 130k mark and the (VTC?) have not been changed since new timing belt at 90k. They didn't need it then. I hope to make it to 200k with 1 more Timing belt and 8 new tires. Trying to keep it for its 25th anniversery if no one tries to take me out. Have a Happy and SAFE New Year

1 - 7 of 7 Posts