ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at "HELP!!! WTF Happened!!!???" and some of your advice. This sounds like what may have happened w/ my 79 280zx. what is an AFM??? how hard is it to get to? She has not been started in over 3 yrs because of major black smoke, was told by some morons, that wanted more than I paid for the car, to put new engine in, because they thought it was shot. It had prev been running rich and they adjusted it. made it better, air flow meter helped too, plugs were black, changed them. nothing seemed to help so I parked it. I would love to get her running again even though she's for sale because I thought there was NO HOPE!!!
Should I try to start and if so what precautions should I take???
Thanks!!!

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Take out the spark plugs, remove the wire from the coil to the distributor and crank the starter a few times... that will build oil pressure. Reinstall everything you removed and try to start it.
The afm is a air flow meter which is located between the air filter box and the throttle body. They are pricy (over $160.00), but can easily be tested. I can send you the engine fuel tests from my '78 FSM (FSM is factory service manual... what every Z owner should have, what the Nissan mechanics use...) If you know someone who is mechanically inclined and who owns a digital voltmeter, they can perform the tests.
Most auto repair shops dont know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to troubleshooting a Z. It helps them if they have the FSM, then they have a clue. Other things that can cause a rich condition is corroded wires in the FI system (water temp sensor, located on the thermostat housing... not the single bullet connector sensor which feeds the dash gauge. the water temp sensor will have a FI style connector, the other one with the same connector is the thermotime, but the nut will be larger), stuck open cold start valve, stuck egr, bad afm, vacuum advance, ect... Where do you live? Maybe someone with some knowlege can help you. Send me your email, will send the tests.
John Bracken
[email protected]

· Registered
4 Posts
if some one adjusted your afm "air flow meter" that could be a reason for it running rich...... also check the voltage on the throttle position sensor. and fuel pressure.
these are some of the basics.
hope you keep it, i have one too. same year............. and i love her more than my vette.
HUEZO RACING........SO. CAL

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Check those connections!

mine was spewing thick black smoke and running like complete crap! My good buddies on Zcar.com told me to check the connections at the water temperature sensor, the one on the drivers side of the thermostat with the fuel injector connector on it. It was so corroded that it was reading incorrectly, making the engine think it was much colder than it was or something, the puter made the mix waaaaaay to rich. Check the plugs after you start or crank it a bunch o times, if they are wet with fuel this is probably the problem. much easier to check than the AFM. I would replace the connector and cut back past the bullets on the wiring harness and solder & seal the new connection.

· Registered
142 Posts
Re: Check those connections!

after 3 yrs the gas will need to be replaced and then id starat the motor first blk smoke isa rich running condition and after running motor till it reaches running temp then disconnect cold staart inj on the intake close to the t/b and see if the smoke stops,did this happen while you were diving one day or did you notice the smoke getting proggesively worse till you parked it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.