ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about painting my intake manifold matte black for simple asthetic reasons, but read in the archives about it not being such a good idea. i know the new maximas have a black intake plenum but its not right next to the exhaust and its made out of plastic. i think ive even saw another z online that had a black intake.. stealth z i think??

just thinking that since i am going to have it off might as well play around with it a bit. i could always traverse the beaten path and sand blast/ aluminum spray paint...

any ideas/experience here?

· Registered
2,185 Posts
Why would it make a difference?

Black paint absorbs sunlight, which is why black things get hot. Unless you are running without a hood, it should make no difference.

· Registered
507 Posts
I had my N36 carb manifold ceramic coated in a flat black.
It looks very simple and clean.
I have had no issues due to color.

Here's the best picture I have....sorry that it doesn't show much of the manifold.

I have seen a black FI Z manifold that was painted black. The paint was rather craked. This might be the issue...paint rather than color.

· Registered
651 Posts
heat

If you're concerned about the heat radiating off the exhaust components you might just paint the top and sides. Leave the bottom alone. Who's going to see it?
SoM

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

ohh thats cool stuff johnb510.. but that company is err kinda far away?? prices too youch! im just a wee lad trying to make ends meet ya know :)

son of magni actually i think thats a pretty good idea, i think with a little tape work i can make it look like some kinda of uber modular two peice smelted intake.. or just like something that was only spray painted on one side heh

hey loosetoe.. do you know if the cracking was from not using high enough heat tolerance paint? or maybe because its aluminum and does a lot of expanding at temp..? btw your car looks great man!

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Do not paint!

There is a MAJOR difference between ceramic coating of an intake manifold and simply painting it!
Ceramic is a thermal barrier coating, so regardless of the color, it acts as a BARRIER to thermal soaking of the intake.
Painting it black, sepecially satin or flat, will markedly improve the thermal conductivity of aluminum, especially if the coating is kept thin (dusting it, or below 3mils). This is the next best thing to military-grade anonidizing black, which doubles the thermal transmission of the aluminum!
Stealth Webb's intake, last I checked was a dark gunmetal grey, but I don't know if it was paint or ceramic coating.
I have seen intakes Jet-Hot coated silver, and they look especially nice. Plus, in conjunction with Jet Hotting the exhaust manifold, would allow for a much colder intake charge compared to untreated items.

My intake is 100grit aluminum oxide blasted on top, with ceramic coating white on the underside. Cerammic coating or painting the manifold WHITE will help decrease the transmitted heat from the manifold. It was common practice to ceramic-based paint (I think that stuff is still out there) the upper portion oc the pushrod tubes on VW and Corvair engines. It was applied to keep the hot, head cooling air from transmitting heat to oil flowing down the tubes. It was good for a 15 degree reduction on my 66 Corsa, and about 8 degrees on my VW Bus.

For astetics, you could ceramic-paint the bottom half white, and the top half gloss black, (gloss black does not accept heat as easily as matte or flat black...) thazt way you had the looks, but still retained the most advantageous position of rejecting and blocking the heat from below...

Call me "Mr. Coating"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.