ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'v installed an aftermarket stereo and run all new speaker wires. After killing my battery the other day by leaving my lights on I decided to re-hook up betty. I did a search and came to the conclsuion that the easiest way would be to run my left front speaker leads through the stock wiring. I've done this and I get sound out of my radio through the speaker, but no betty. There are a couple of wires in the radio plug that are snipped, but I can't really make out what they are for. Does betty also get her power or ground from out of the plug? Do some of her sensors run wire through the radio plug? I've bought the chilton's total car care guide and after looking through it I left it in the bathroom in case I run out of TP. It didn't even have a radio wiring schematic in it. It has no schematic of what all them flipping wires are for. I think the only wires that are cut are wires that originally went to a plug that's no longer plugged in. Betty worked before the stereo install but that's been a couple months ago. TIA

·
Registered
657 Posts
i belive you have to run the radio to betty and then to the speaker.... this is common question....... i know you ll find some good info if you search this one.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I take credit for nothing - Compliments of AZ_ZBUM:

http://www.az-zbum.com/information.stereo.shtml

Voice Warning (aka Bitching Betty) (84-86 GL and GLL models only):
The voice warning only came in the 84-86 GL and GLL models. SF models and 87-89 Z31s did not have the voice warning system. It works by stopping the signals going to the front left speaker(s) and replacing it with a signal of its own. Even without a stereo in the car, the voice warning would still work if the speaker is still there and hooked up to the stock wiring. If you want to keep the voice warning, you rewire the rear speakers and use the stock front wires. The voice warning unit is located above and behind the ECU in the passenger kick panel. It's hidden by a piece of insulation. It is possible to totally rewire the stereo system and use totally new speaker wire and still retain the voice warning. There are many ways to do it. One way is to run the wires for the front left speaker to the voice warning unit speaker lead inputs. Then run the speaker lead outputs to the front left speaker. Another option is to add a dedicated speaker (any basic full range speaker will work) and simply run the outputs to this speaker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.