ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK be gentle I've had my Z about a week.
I put an AP brake kit 6 piston on it but, I can't get anybody, including Tire Rack to tell me what wheels I can buy for it to work with the kit.
Stillen suggested a couple wheels. At $329 & $624 a piece.
My local Bigbrand got tired of playing trial and error after the first attempt didn't work.
Nobody that makes a wheel gives the distance between the flat of the hub and bottom of the spoke which is what I need to know for the caliper clearance.
Another place suggested filing the calipers and/or the wheels. I need about 5 mm for some DrifZ wheels to fit that are sitting at the store waiting for me to decide what to do.
Another display wheel I tried did not have enough inside diameter even though it was an 18 although it cleared the caliper height.
Does someone have a combination that works? Has anybody been through this? I hope?!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rotor diameter is 14.25", 15" with the caliper. I think that would put the circumference around 23". Oops I mean around 45".

Post Edited (Feb 2, 10:08pm)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
contact AP, they have a piece of paper that you can put inside a wheel to indicate if they will work. The should also have info on offset, etc., etc. that you could provide to those selling wheels to insure fitment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply but, ..
1. The paper does you no good without the wheel. Most wheels will cost u a restocking fee. Bigbrand got tired of this after one wheel. Local places don't keep Sh..t in stock.
2. The offset only tells you where the tire will sit in relation to your fender well. It does not tell you the caliper height needed nor the circumference of the inside diameter of the wheel at the location of the caliper needed.
And every wheel & tire guy will bring up the offset, I don't know why.
Not trying to be a smartass I just want someone else that reads this to realize what they have to figure out if they want do this.
It really is a trial and error type of thing. This is because the wheel manufacturers don't list the measurements needed. They don't want to do this because the measurement would be a range. The inside diameter of your wheel varies from inside to outside. The height of the spoke above the flat of the hat varies from inside to outside.
I consider the type of brake I want more important then the wheel. So, I picked the kit and am now looking for the wheel.
It would be easier if I had picked the wheel first.
I was hoping to find smoeone who had a combination that worked

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would bet that the yokohama avs v5's would work on yours but their pretty pricey. I have them and a brembo big brake kit on mine. I would bet you wouldn't get away much cheaper than 1500 for a used set.

Post Edited (Feb 3, 8:01am)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.