ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend I put an aftermarket Pioneer stereo in my Z. Once I got the bad boy installed, everything was fine except the headlights would not go up and down and Betty had disappeared. Both of these things were not really a problem because I dont mind the headlights staying down all the time and I didn't miss Betty one bit. The problem came when I found out my tail lights do not work. So, I started by replacing the fuse. Once I put the fuse in, I put my key in the ignition and the ignition chime returns. So I have the new fuse in, I flick the head/tail light switch, and the fuse blows. Well I was in a hurry, so I left and returned to my problem a few hours later. I start by pulling the entire deck and all wires from the dash and I make sure that there are no exposed wires shorting out, which there are not. With the deck entirely pulled from the dash, I install a new fuse and Betty returns as do the tail lights and the up and down of the headlights. I shove the deck back in and I am off. Once I get to my new destination, I find that all my stuff is not working again. I have a friend search for a short, and nothing is found. I approach another friend and he says that maybe the deck (50x4 watts) is to big for the power source. So off to Wal-Mart I head to buy one of those stupid power amp kits. I drop $12 on this amp kit and hardwire the stereo's power source and constant (memory wire) to the battery. I start up the stereo and it plays fine until it comes time to turn the head/tail lights on. Once the lights are engaged, the stereo immediately powers off. So I mess with it some more, and then it blows the fuse again. Can someone please tell me what is wrong here? Why is this blowing the fuse in the kick panel? Why is this fuse even related to the lights? Is it because Betty and the speakers are run through this fuse? Is there any way I can bypass that fuse? Thank you, all help is appreciated.

Jacob

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try using a different circuit for the 12v when the ign key is on. Plus where did you ground it to? Did you run all new speaker leads as well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The simplest solution to this would be to run a positive wire with a fuse, from the battery itself to your stereo, and than ground the wire from the stereo to somewhere on the chasis. This way you make your own loop. If you are still shorting out after that then you know there is a short in your lighting.
It will also be nice to already have the power directly from the battery if you decide to put in an amp at a later date.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was almost finished putting my stereo in last week, the last thing I had to do was ground it. Well, I was planning on grounding it to the chasis, but then I found one unused wire in the dash that I thought would make an excellent ground. As it turns out, that wire is for the dimmer switch, and every time I went to turn the lights on....you guys know what happened. Problem is now fixed. Thank you for your help guys.

Jacob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.