ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '77 280Z that I am converting to the Velo Rossa GTO replica. I am planning to put a Chrysler 400 Big Block V8 into it. I am currently rebuilding the V8 and was wondering if any one knew about MOPAR big blocks going into other Z's. I know that it will fit, actually it fits quite well. The low profile oil pan barely shows below the front crossmember. When I test fit it I was quite surprised. Anyway, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Especially ideas on motor mounts, they line up pretty darn close but I would rather not fabricate something if I don't have to.

I am also looking for wheels, 16" or 17" by 8" upfront and 10" in the rear. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for wire wheels by the way.

P.S. Please don't respond that I should put a datsun or nissan engine in it. Or that I ruined the car. When I bought the car it had no engine, no tranny, no interior, no roof, no front fenders, no bumpers in other words it was the perfect donor for the kit. I personally would never cut up an intact Z.

Thanks,

Jeff Green

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Go for it bud....seems everyone and their brother wants to put a Chevy motor in one of these, and I love Chevies. But, Go for the Mopar! Be different! And just fab what you need, it's only metal, not magic.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the support. :) I bought the V8 conversion book, from Jags that Run. It seemed like a lot of modifications were needed and the oil pan and headers cause clearance problems. Besides, it would take a fairly modified ($$$) Chevy 350 to come even close to the HP and Torque of the MOPAR big block. This is my first MOPAR engine, but I have a good friend that does nothing but MOPAR work and the engine only cost me $200. ;-)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Good deal on the "B" motor. I have a good friend that is a Mopar head as well. The motor is a bit heavy, but they are strong running and hard to break. Valve train on the Mopar is stronger than on the Big Block Chevy and the lower end bearings have more beef than the Big Block Ford. Sort of the best of both in one engine. Try the famous "purple" cam, it is a real stump puller!! Good luck and post some pics when you get the chance.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rims: progressive,centerline,budnik...

colorado customs and billet specialties all make custom offset billet wheels. progressive is probably the least expensive

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Somewhere there's a web pic of a early hemi in a Z. I think it's on the zhome page. get some of that weight off by going to alum heads (I know they are expensive), intake, waterpump housing, etc. Are you going to put the 727 Auto in? What's a little fabricating on a project like that. Plus the frame stiffening you will have to do, especially if you don't have a roof!! We're talking major torque way, way down low with a BB mopar.
greg
71 240z
MOPAR lover

P.S.: Ken, the "purple" cam is actually Mopar Performances whole line of cams- commonly called purpleshaft for obvious reasons. Great cams.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Go for it Ken!! SIze is no problem. I have a 75 Z car wtih a 496 cubic inch Chevrolet. Is this going to be a tube chassis car?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not going to be a tube chassis car. Although I am modifying the rear tub a little. I want to put late model recessed lights in the rear and the current shape of the rear tub won't let me, so I will cut it out and weld in some tubing to reinforce it. Also the gas filler will be behind the license plate (where it belongs ;-)) running to a fuel cell. I will be adding structural reinforcement to the car to beef it up, however I am trying to make sure they are not very noticeable. The car is going to be more hot rod and less replica. Shaved door handles, hidden trunk hinges, chopped windshield with the rain gutters removed, I am "filling in" the large "dents/vents" behind the rear wheels to give a smoother look, will install modern flush mount "teardrop" shaped taillight assemblies (Off a late model Hyundai - no laughing please - they actually look really good) and the headlights are going to be modified to recieve "teardrop" shaped headlights to resemble the new Ferrari Modena - emphasis on the word resemble. So as you can see the car is going to be different, just the way I like it.

It is a time consuming project, just the way I like it. Thanks for everyones support.

Jeff Green

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Actually I had no problems...

With clearence on the oil pan and I just dropped a small block Chevy 383 in my car. I pulled it out twice to make sure that the T56 trans was clearing properly, which it was, but I had it in and out three times in less than two hours and not a problem with clearence. I think dropping a ford in would be cool to, but definately go for it. Nothing wrong with being different. Just try to get the motor as far back as possible. I drove one that had the old Scarab type set up and it was **** trying to steer at low speed and it felt top heavy, so low and back is definately the way to go!
Good luck...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: Actually I had no problems...

When I test fit it I had the transmission attached, they both fit well. I had the motor set as far back as I could get it and the motor mounts were almost perfectly aligned withthe stock Z mounts. Plus, the distributor is up front as well as the oil filter. This makes life a lot easier. I am going to use iron heads with an aluminum intake. I am not overly concerned about weight. Afterall, I dont have the metal fenders, the metal hood or the front bumper. Just a nice light one piece fiberglass front clip that tilts forward.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: Actually I had no problems...

Cool. That is the one thing I didn't like about the Chevy conversion. The Distributor is way back at the fire wall. I also didn't like the location of the oil filter so I bought a filter relocation kit and moved it up front by the radiator so the cool air is passing over the billet Canton Mecca oil filter housing. I'm also using a Canton Mecca Oil Preluber/ accusump. I went with aluminum heads, water pump, intake, gear reduction starter, Fiberglass Air INtake... Moved the battery to the rear, got rid of as much stuff as I didn't need like the spare tire well and the bumpers. The ones in the Fuel Cell How too are Fiberglass 240 units from Arizona Z car. I did as much as I could to lose weight, but I also added some weight with the frame rails, Drive shaft loop, extra braces under the chassis and the 6 point roll cage. I figured the added weight there was worht not pulling the car in two..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.