ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was supposed to be posted here in the tech, duh...
Just replaced my Voltage Regulator in the 260.
Had a short on a main power wire from a battery sourced connector to power distribution block that drained the battery, and did a nice job on melting the wire. If you run a wire directly from the battery + to a distribution block MAKE SURE YOU SECURE IT! Mine was shrink wrapped and wire tied but still managed to chafe through a section of the insulation where it was lightly rubbing on the BATTERY HOLD DOWN! (Took about 10K miles over three months of driving...)
This un-fused section of wire drained the battery in short order---amazingly without me noticing smoke or anything. I found it and replaced the section, charged the battery, and was off. In a week of sitting it (the battery) was dead again.
Checked voltage, and even above 3K, the alt was still showing 13.2 volts, but had a steady drop after the key was turned off (like from 13.2 to 12.02VDC in two hours!)
SOOOOOO, I plinked in my spare regulator, and viola, 13.8 at idle, and between 14.68 and 15.2 above 1000rpm, steadying around 13.8 after load transients.
Beware the phantom short, from now on, after a wire melting inncident, I'm checking output from the alt to make sure no damage was done. I'll disect the ORIGINAL voltage regulator this week at work to see what went kaflooey.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That happened to me once...

the electrical charge caused an atmospheric change in my engine compartment and thus increased the air presure causing a lean situation in my combustion chamber resulting in a blown head gasket.

Pretty amazing, huh?

*******!

:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.