ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas? there's no way at this point I can afford the paint job I want (essentially a full restoration ~$7000CAD) but I have rust on the rear passenger side rocker, what's the best way to stop it? coat it in grease? I've used the Tremclad rust-paint etc, but the rust is running away again, I had the same spot on the drivers side, but when my girlfriend's neighbour hit my car it got repaired at his expense (beeyootiful!!!), they had to cut it out and weld a new metal sheet in it's place, beautiful work though.

·
Registered
443 Posts
is the panel rusted through or is it just surface rust?

If it's just surface rust, do the work yourself. 3m makes a rust and paint remover wheel for a common drill. Sand all the rust and paint off, sand with sandpaper, paint with rust converting primer, when dry sand that off, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, butter coat, sand, butter coat sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, wet sand, wet sand, primer, wet sand, wet sand, paint, wet sand, paint wet, sand, paint, clear coat, dry, buff.

Got it?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
If it's that bad (like you say it is), then I guess the best way would be to cut out the panel and weld it back in (what I did with spots on my Z when I repainted it).

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can't remeber the name of the product i used on my jeep but it actualy nutralized the rust through a chemical reaction turning it into somthing other then Iron Oxide. It worked realy well and the rust and turned it realy hard. I bought it at Lordco and it came in a Yellow and Brown bottle.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Rust neutralizer can be found in better hardware stores. I just picked some up over at ACE last weekend -- have some rust on my lower radiator support bar that needs a bit of attention.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds great guys, I'll grab some POR-15 and then airbrush the touch-up paint over top untill I can afford a paint job.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.