ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my struts on my 76 280z and was wondering what would be the best buy. The car isn't my daily driver so "comfort" isn't too important. Although, obviously I don't want my teeth to rattle loose from my skull. I drive it in the summer, mostly on weekends. Recently I discovered SCCA Solo II events and would love to put my z through the course--my Ford Focus just isn't cutting it. I've been looking at the adjustable Koni struts with Ground Control adjustable coil-overs (Eibach Springs). Are the Konis truley adjustable? Will I notice that big of a change or is the knob on top a marketing scam? I'm really impressed with the CG coilover kits, but totally lost on the struts. Does any one have any advice. Oh, one more thing... I'm not loaded. So, money is somewhat of a concern. I'm trying like **** to keep this between $600-800. Thanx in advance for the advise.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Eibach Progressive rate springs with Tokico 5 way struts.. Dial in the fun when you go to the track, but good luck with your budget.. It's up to you.. Also want to replace all your bushings w/ poly, and probably want to consider new tie rod ends and ball joints.. but that busts the budget pretty quick.. Depends how seroius you are about shedding seconds off your lap times.

Later!
~Scott'83ZX

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
For that budget wait on the coilovers, your looking at $1000 to install them properly, while its apart it would be silly not to put in new bushings, urethane or stock rubber bringing up the cost more.

I wouldn't go with eibachs for autoX, mainly because they are progressive also because they are way to soft for any serious competition. In autoX your car needs to be very tight, tighter than an open track car - progressive springs are not the way to go, unless you like 1" of body roll before it stiffens up.

Ground control can spec some linear rate springs for you that will perform alot better. Spend more than you plan on struts, they are really more important than the springs. Tokico illuminas are nice and work well, Koni's are stiffer and work better but are not made for our Z's anymore the ones out there are usually old and need a rebuild which cost as much as a new strut. Again talk to GC and see what they recommend without going coilover or save some more money.

I would replace old parts like Scott said, tie rods, ball joints, brakes and lines & fluid, get some good tires they will make the biggest difference in your autoX times over any other suspension goodie. What rear diff are you using? could also be something to change.

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.