ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking the archives on this topic and there seems to be conflicting information. I want to upgrade my entire suspension (sway bars, bushings, shocks,etc.) and I'd like to know what people recommend. First though, I will not be racing my car, it is a daily driver. I simply want to have a decent ride, a bit lower and firmer, but not harsh. Also, I don't want to spend major bucks on the adjustable Illuminas. I'd rather get the performance shocks to save $ and sacrifice the adjustibility. I know it is everyone's dream to have both a soft ride and good handling, but what is the best combo for this if you're not seeking autocrossing handling? I've read that Tokico/Eibach is good, or KYB or Koni shocks. Thanks for any info. (76 280z)
-wiskman

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
You know, if there were one, definitive answer to this question, it would eliminate about 12 gigs worth of the same exact question that has appeared here at least once every other day for the two years or so I've been logging on. I think the fact is that no one here — and maybe no one in Z-dom — has ever actually performed a comprehensive comparison of available shocks and/or springs. The only thing I see is subjective opinions based on what one guy has. Sure, a few have swapped one or two different types of springs or struts, or compared their car with someone elses running different springs. But I think any rational person would have to take those types of recommendations — however well meant — with a grain of salt. The only way to properly quantify what springs do what is to fit all the different types to one or two test cars and then have a number of people go out and thrash 'em on the street and on the track. Load the cars up with sensors and get some REAL — as well as subjective — information. I'm sure some car mags do this occasionally, but only with new cars. Zs are a bit dated to spend so much time and money on (at least for the big rags). And speaking of ragging, I'm not getting down on you, Wiskman. I'd dearly LOVE to know the answer to this question, too, before I fork out $300 or $400, or more, for shocks and struts. But I think if the answer were out there, we'd have read it by now. I promise if I win the lottery soon, I'll pay to have a proper test done.

I'll also get the answer to one of the two OTHER most common (almost daily) questions that get posted: "What are the biggest wheels/tires I can run?"

And for the third most common question, for the 1,000th time: yes, you CAN put a turbo motor in an N/A car. (Sorry, guess I'm just in a mood tonite.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
JUST FOR AN OPINION------
i HAVE KYB STRUTS AND CHOPPED 280ZX EURO SPRINGS ON A 240, AND IT IS THE BEST RIDE OF ANY CAR I HAVE EVER OUNED OR DRIVEN WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE ACURA NSX. I AM TALKING ABOUT A SMOTH RIDE WITHOUT THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF A STOCK REBUILT SLOPPY SUSPENSION FEEL. I LOVE TO DRIVE A CAR THAT IS CONNECTED WIITH THE ROAD, BUT NOT ONE THAT IS WAY TOO HARSH OVER THE POT HOLE STREATS I DRIVE ON EVERY DAY. i HAVE NEVER BEEN IMPRESSED WITH SHOCKS BEFORE THE KYB,S RIDE, BUT I MUST WARN THAT THEIR DURABILITY IS CRAP TO SAY THE LEAST. THIS IS JUST A REAL WORLD OPINION SO DON'T TAKE IT AS MORE THAN IT IS.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH FOR THE BEST FOR THE MONEY!

STILL

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Yeah what JR is saying! I wish we had some good quantifiable test results but we don't. What we do have is years of racing experience that is more indicative of real world situations than a short controlled test, anyway. Even if one setup performed better than all others I still don't believe it would be one size fits all.

If you just want a good firm ride that is fun to drive everyday then just buy the normal non adjustable tokicos - they work great are not that stiff even a little less than the KYB's plus they will last alot longer like 3X the time the KYB's will. Also the adjustability is nice if you are constantly trying to dial your car in at different tracks or whatever but most of the time its wasted money. **** most people can't drive there cars to within 7/10 ths of the cars capability so a little fine tuning of the shocks is pointless.

For springs the euros are real nice, I've heard they are hard to get lately though. I don't like eibachs they are too soft for as low as they go and progressive, they bottom out easy and will sag in under a year. I like the motorsport auto springs, they are firm, linear rate and only lower the car an 1" I had some an ended up cutting a coil out of them to get it lower. When they were stock I had no problem with speed bumps and stuff like that. Suspension Techniques are good but stiff and low. This is more than opinion just some experience, as too what I use now; I had some springs custom wound 220 lbs front and 240 lbs rear with bilstein struts. My car is not that good of a daily driver.

Matt

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Eibachs

I've never owned Eibachs, but I've read the specs. One of the things that's always kind of bugged me about Eibachs is that only one end of a Z set is progressive. (I looked this up the other day but now can't remember where.) In other words, I believe the fronts are progressive on a ZX and the rears 'regular', and the opposite (rears progressive, fronts 'regular') on a first-gen car. Could this be right? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. But if it's true, it seems like it misses the point to have one end of the car riding differently than the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.