ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey what have you guys found to be the best plugs. currently the car has normal ngk's in it and it seems to be running fine. however i see all these things for platinum and splitfire plugs, are they worth it. also does ngk have a better plug, and how does ngk compare to other plugs. my engine is completly stock except for the exhaust, its a 76 280.

thanks
mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
NGK has a four electrode plug out now, and they also have the three electrode plug that is great! I settled for the Bosch Platnum +4 and I am extremly dissatisfied! Stay with NGK and you will do fine

Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: best plugs</b>

I can only speak from experience. My Toyota ran standard plugs then I switched to Bosch Platinums and It was like night and day. My Z likes them. I use them in all my cars with no problems for 10 years now. I do recommend the "standard" Bosch Platinums.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Bosch platinums sucked in my Celica!!!

I lost 5 hp by installing the Platinum Bosch in a 78. My 84 Celica Supra had dealer platinums in it (I think NGK) and they were great, Bosch was pitiful. Stay with the NGK, I bet all dedicated Z service men would recommend them also, as that is why I tried them in the first place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey mike,this is mike.I tried the Splitfire Platinums and they improved my cars performance noticeably.I dont know if it was worth paying $11 a plug though.Anybody know where to get these things cheaper?????

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: best plugs</b>

Consumer Report magazine just did a study on the four pronged plugs and said they were not worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Platinums suck</b>

Platinum is NOT a good electrical conductor. Copper is better by far. The benefits of platinum are, however, less wear. They simply do not erode as much as copper. That is why you will find platinum plugs in new cars more common today. Remember, Most people do not do maintanence on the vehicles they own, so car makers are making their cars easier to own by having less required maintenance. That is how they can say "100,000 miles between tune-ups". What are tuneps? Spark plugs, timing, oil changes. Thats about all they consider a tune-up. With all that said, if you want performance and longevity, get the multi-electrode COPPER core NGKs. part #BP6ES.

·
Registered
134 Posts
RE: best plugs- race tested

I have run every plug I thought would help both in vintage racing Jaguars and in the autocross Z. Platinum was terrible for perfomance, and the multi electrode plugs showed now power increase for the extra cost. I now run standard NGK's in all cars, and index them on the race cars. That means marking the open side of the eletrode on the plug body, so when it is installed it can be seen which way it points, then use different sizes of washers, or trying several different plugs to get it to point the best way for ignition- usually towards the intake valve.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I have tried all sorts of plugs in a Volvo 6 cyl(very hot running motor )that would only get 4.5-5 K miles on most plugs(AC, Champ, etc). The Bosch or NGK's went 6-7 K miles and I have used them or ND'S exclusively with good results in my 280Z.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.