ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that others like myself, have tried the gamut of products out there that claim to be metal polishes.

Well, by far the EASIEST and FASTEST I've found is put out by the POR-15 people. It's called Artisan Metal Polish.

I bought it when I picked up the material to repair my gas tank, and figured what the heck, for $12.00 kind of spendy, but from what the guy was telling me, the pictures and everybody's responses regarding POR-15, can't go too seriously wrong.

I got it, and just for the heck of let's see how stupid I was, I dabbed a little on a rag, and attacked my valve cover.

You are all familiar with how your valve cover can end up getting all sorts of stuff sprayed on it, that gets baked on, discoloring the aluminum. Additionally, the age of the cover, gives it that aged aluminum patina that you know is going to be a bear to clean. Other people have posted about using degreasers, then using sand paper and finally getting rouges and other bar type metal polishes and a buffing tool and all sorts of stuff.

Well, let me tell you guys, after less than 3 minutes of working on a small area, probably 4" long, and maybe 1" wide, I buffed off the Artisan Metal Polish, using the clean part of the rag.

The results were nothing short of AMAZINGLY OUTSTANDING!! Not only did it clean off spots that I thought I would have to sand out, it brought a SHINE and LUSTER to rival and BEAT many of the other products I have on the shelf.

Thinking that I got lucky, I attacked a small section of my aluminum mags. These mags, are showing their age. They are not clear coated and at one time long ago, had been painted. The paint has since been removed, and I have no idea how. Suffice it to say that I was thinking of taking them to a professional to see if they could be turned to try to get a new finish on them and get rid of all the chalky light grey.

This section, is again probably 4" of the outermost portion of the arc, just before the tire. After about 3 minutes worth of work, I buffed off the residue and WOW! SHINE! SHINE! SHINE! (Dang, I'm sounding like Gomer Pyle!)

All this was done with good old finger pressure, and a rag. No machine, nothing else than my index finger and a cotton rag.

I then tested the Window Frame that I had given up on with my other polishes due to some ingrained spots that simply would not clean up, as well as a very obvious weld line at the corner. In fact, I had already bought and polished a new frame and just hadn't gotten around to replacing it.

Get the rag, dab some on the spots, rub a dub dub, and in less than 4 minutes had done a section probably 5" long, and not only had it removed those nasty spots, it had restored a shine rivaled only by NEW chrome. The weld line? GONE. Well, not gone, but no longer visible.

So, I've been dabbling at all the other pieces of chrome, stainless, aluminum, all over the car. This stuff is nothing less than AMAZING.

Heck, I had the license plate light disassembled, and just for grins, tackled the metal inserts that go around the light bulb, and since they are galvanized metal, I did not expect much. THEY SHINE!!

Now, I don't get a penny from the POR people, and I'll tell you my contact for the stuff not because I have an arrangement with him, I don't, but so that if you don't know where to get the stuff, you can call Chuck and if not buy it from him, at least get the name of the guy near you.

Custom Product Sales
3115 Crocker Road
Eugene, OR 97404
(541) 345-8092

The guy's name is Chuck. Don't know his last name.

Again, this stuff is EASY, FAST, and AMAZING!

Just my 2¢ worth.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
The only problem I see here is that now that you have all those spots that you tested on, you now have to go back and FINISH them all!! ;-)

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, yes. You wouldn't by chance be up for a car polishing pizza party would you? I'll buy the pizza and beer and we can put on CD's, records, tape, records whatever and polish the heck out of my car!

Actually, since the car is up on ramps right now, while I do the fuel tank, I've got plenty of time when I'm waiting for stuff to dry, set, etc. So I'll have plenty of stand-by time when I'm essentially waiting "patiently" (Is there such a thing?). My wife's been in the hospital the last 10 days so haven't gotten anything accomplished but tiny little nit picking, that's how I was "spotting".

· Registered
685 Posts
it is starting to look a little like a lepeard , lapard leppared . What the **** after a few and that I am deslexic thats the best I can do . Mr E hope your better half is doing better . Gary ptln or.

· Registered
12 Posts
escanlon,

Questions,

1. What were some of the other polishes? Mother's? Blue Magic?

2. The rims, were they the aluminum American slots (1970's age) or newer? I have a set of the American slots that need some real work, these are the ones that were sold with the car as a dealer option.

Just curious, Thanks.

Thomas

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thomas;

This is getting to be an "old" post so don't know if you'll see it or if you have the e-mail function on. I would have mailed it to you directly but your e-mail was blanked out.

The mags that I have came with the car, and I think they were the "other" type being offered with the 260's or 280's. The 240 had the 5 oval hole / 5 spoke look with the center chromed plastic piece. These also accepted the center bullet piece, but instead of being the 5 spoke these look like a multi spoked star. The center is flat, not like the other style where the spoke goes all the way to the center and the lug nuts are on raised surfaces.

Mine have like 15 spokes radiating out from a flat center. The lug nuts aren't on a separate level from the flat. The finish as best as I can describe it, is smooth and polished on the spokes and pebble grained between the spokes. In fact the space between the spokes still has some tell tale paint from a prior owner. The area I polished was the outermost ring where all the spokes connect to.

If you want, I can take a picture and forward to you, send me your e-mail and I'll send you pictures that have been reduced in file size so that you don't spend hours downloading.

As far as polishes, I have the typical rouges, both the red and the white. Also have in liquid Flash Billet and Flash Green. These were recommended by the local paint store as being very good, and they do work well, but not as good as the Artisan. I also have used MAAS, BRASSO, NEV-A-DULL. All of these have been tried with plain old finger and elbow grease as well as the Dremel. By far the Artisan with just finger pressure gave results that almost make me NOT want to try the Dremel. (I'm already hooked on the stuff, and don't want to get crazy about it.)

Anyhow, just my two cents.

· Registered
685 Posts
I dont know what difference what the other stuff was used , this por 15 is amazing ,and if you don't try it your self you are the the one that is missing the boat ! I have seen what it does and it is amazing. I have turbin type mags as does E. and the polish works on them and your slotted aluminum as well. Look, what the **** do you have to loose. I dont have any connection with the co. either , just passing on some good information. take it for what it is worth. Buy a jar of the stuff and use on your valve cover and if it dosn't do as what we say , Post it on this web site in capitol letters. The stuff works. Gary Portland

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.