ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a diagram of the belt system for the 1982 datsun 280ZX. ive been working on restoring the one i picked up 2 weeks ago and my belts finally came, i shredded the belt for the water pump and radiator fan on my drive home when i bought the car, and we had to rig up a belt just to get home, im new to mechanic work and have no idea what belt goes where.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have no diagram but if I remember right when I did it a few months ago.... furthest back one (to the engine bay) is for the alternator, middle one is for power steering, and closest to the radiator is for the fan. Anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
While I can't find the FSM for the 82, this is the belt routing for the 80. I don't think Datsun changed much related to belt routing for the ZX through the years.

edit; just checked the 83 FSM, and the belt routing photo is the same as the 80.

Also, here's the link where I'm getting the factory service manuals. They are free in PDF form

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tokuzumi thank you for this, one other thing is my tentioner near the oil pump is just straight up missing one of the mounting bolts, you wouldnt knowwhat size bolt that could be?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I haven't the slightest idea. I only have one belt on my car. It's the alternator, fan pulley, and crank pulley (crank pulley only has 2 grooves, one for the alternator and the compressor. I have some bolt holes near that inspection plate for the timing chain. They look like the ubiquitous 10mm bolt Datsun sprinkled all over the rest of the engine. Take the bolt to the hardware store, and match up the thread.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
938 Posts
If there's another bracket with a similar size bolt, try moving that bolt over and see if it works. If so, take that bolt to ACE Hardware and buy one that matches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts