ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97miles 2.665 gals of gas., i will be using 3 oz per ten gal it is what works best for me. the driving was all upstae parkway driving.one point i would like to make is the in ny state we have a winter mixture rhat we r forced to by in the big city. i bought 10 gals of upstate gas where they dont sell the blended gas, stewarts store brand gas ,regular. i cant believe 36+miles per gal.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
not enough use to make an accurate determination of the benefits.

2.665 gallons isn't enough. try it after an almost full tank or two.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Agreed. People keep posting all these great results using acetone but they only test low mile results. As I've mentioned in the past before no one yet has done an actual scientific experiment to test this acetone crap. Take a few upper division bio/chem/physics classes and you'll learn how you are really supposed to test to see if things like this make a difference.

I guess if your happy thats all that counts but I don't buy that acetone makes the differences people claim. Putting aside the gas mileage aspect I'm still concerned with it's destructive properties on hoses, seals, and gaskets under proper conditions.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Hey I've driven over 5,000 miles with it now. It definitely works. And I beg to differ. I have conducted a valid scientific experiment on it. I've been keeping track of my mileage at every single fill up for 8 months now, and I've been using acetone since late august. I drive an average of 500 miles per week, and you can add in 2,000 miles for two roundtrips to San Diego in september and october.
I have data that proves that acetone does in fact yield dramatic improvements in mileage. I have no problem writing you a lab report on it, I already have one started for my o-chem2 class.

Post Edited (Nov 13, 12:52am)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phxZ31,thanks for the back up im sure ur calculations r correct.the people who disbelieve let them .i also do a milage chk every time i fill up adnd i note the type of driving i do. 36+ miles per gal is unmistakable to good not to post .beleive it or not i dont care. 9.8 billion dollars profit 4 the oil companies in three months.i know the i have done best i can do to consevre and help others.4 all you non-believers keep paying dick cheney and the weapon of mass descruction boy love ya 4 it

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
phxz31 please do send your report. As a scientist I'm eager to see it. Of course I'm sure you have controls and you have tried to eliminate as many outside factors as possible. Also being that you are doing this for an O-Chem II class I would also appreciate a small write up on the chemical composition of regular gas with the additives that are placed in it for your area and how it changes when acetone is added. Give me what you have, the more scientfic the better. You have struck my curriosity now so let me see your report. Thanks

Post Edited (Nov 14, 6:39pm)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
280z/300zx:
I'll have my report done for class by thursday. I have taken into account the amount of Ethanol or MTBE added to whatever gasoline I've been using (also, Costco does not add ethanol to their fuel in the PHX area) and since I had recorded some 7,000 miles of driving before I ever heard of acetone, I used that as my control data. In those 7,000 miles I recorded the mileage, where I filled up, the price when I filled up and the date, and in all recent cases I've also recorded driving style.
Since using acetone I've recorded all of the above data, plus amount of acetone used in mL. I have been using 2.75oz acetone per 10 gals. There are 29.57mL/oz, and I always add only 17.25 gals of fuel everytime, as not to calculate acetone for 19gals to find I can only fit 17.5 in the tank and overshoot my dosage. So, every fill up is 141mL of acetone and 17.25gal of fuel. I usually go 490-510 miles on one fillup, and the average is about 28.6 MPG in the city. My record mileage was recorded on my way back from San Diego, with about 32MPG, went 539 miles on one tank, obviously mostly highway driving.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Sounds pretty good so far phxz31. Again let me see it when it's done. Still as I mentioned before, aside from the gas mileage issue I'm concerned with the effect it may have on engine parts. Have you talked to your O-chem teacher about the effect of acetone on rubber or like compounds?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
A couple of friends and I have tested some fuel system parts in pure acetone. Parts included orings, seals, and plastic parts from a fuel pump, one fuel injector and its rings/seals, a small piece of standard fuel line hose, and the thin cloth pre-filter that some fuel pumps have. There was no damage to any of these parts, probably because all fuel system parts were designed out of materials that can stand up to strong solvents (gasoline is a solvent itself). The rubber fuel line and a few of the o-rings that we tested showed signs of swelling, but it was minimal enough that I wouldn't be concerned. Again, this is in 100% acetone. The concentration of acetone in your gastank at 3oz/10 gals is much less.
The math is easy too. 1gal=128oz. 128x10 = 1280oz + 3oz acetone = 1283oz total fluid. 3/1283 = 0.010%
Since I actually only use 2.75oz of acetone, the concentration is actually only 0.0021%. I doubt any damage to the fuel system will result.

BTW, acetone will eat some plastics and rubbers very quickly. I used to have a 100mL graduated cylinder, but one dosage of acetone ate that one up within seconds. Again, it wasn't ever intended to have powerful solvents measured in it though.

Post Edited (Nov 13, 3:39pm)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Swampman, You apparently didn't see the malicious humor in my response. 280/300zx stated " As a scientest I'm earger to see it." How do you spell scientist or eager? Who calls themselves a scientist except an actor in an old black and white B movie. How about chemist, botantist, herpetologist, physicist. And yes I am a psycologist (industrial) and work as an HR manager.

·
Registered
20 Posts
dspurck2- good observation there! i didn't pick it up mind you until you pointed it out.

Acetone doesn't hurt fuel lines too, the hoses we use these days for fuel are more efficient and don't wear like older fuel line. 280z dude, hows about you state some observations with fuel/acetone based mixtures and then, write a report based on your conclusions?

As an alternative, why do you conduct a monster, kinda like frankenstein, and make him run on acetone? you know since your the mad scientist and all.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've seen pros and cons about this. It's obviously working for a lot of guys who use this site. But for now I'll pass. What got me was someone trying to pass themselves off as a scientist when they can't spell it. Like saying "I'm a spaceman."

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Seriously? Why argue this? The Drying agents in the Acetone allows better burning of A/F Ratios. Whether it is for Power, or Economy it does work. Results do Vary. Im sorry, but you need to replace the "Rubber" fuel lines at Intervals anyway. With regular Oil changes Lubrication wouldnt be a problem. In Older Fuel Systems the Acetone will Clean away the deposits in the lines, and Pintles of the Injectors, providing more Effciant fuel flow as another benifit. I still have a few lines ,and fuel componants Soaking in Acetone now for 6 months. Line is still OK, as well as other componants.

Anybody who want to learn more about it, it is all over the Net.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Oh please don't make fun of me, you are hurting my feelings.

**** off *******. I could give a **** about what you think of me. So I made a couple errors while typing fast and called my self a scientist, which I am. Big fucking deal. How about you grow up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.