Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I was reading a magazine today in the newsagency... big thick thing which had reviews on thousands of different cars. Was looking for the 280zx (being my fixation), but it only had the 2 300zx's.

It said the 80's 300zx was pretty poor (in today's market) as most would have been thrashed, turboes wrecked, etc, and have various problems.

Then interesting bit was what it said about the 90's 300zx. It said they're a good car to buy if you've just won lotto - impress your friends with a nice looking, fast car with good handling... and, secondly, that it will kill you.

Yes, it will KILL you.

Apparently it has one of the worst ratings for fatal accidents amongst sports cars?! I forget what it was out of (1,000 or 100,000?) but it scored a 213 fatalities, compared to the average of only 100 for sports cars.

Changed my opinion of 300s forever I think!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Yeah but....do you blame the car?

When I think of some of the bone heads that I have seen driving them, kind of like the bad rap that corvairs got thanks to idiots driving them!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: Yeah but....do you blame the car?

i drive a 1986 300zx, new paint,f-40 wing, air dam. mods...... etc. it's looking **** good it think i've invested alot of money in to it.
but all the guys i have met with a 90+ z around here. i don't care if it's bone stock.
to them my car is @!#$. no one with a 90+ z around here will even wave to me.
i can't even have a conversation with them becasue they are so stuck on them selves. but every one that i have met with either 70-83z or 84-89 300zx. they will talk all day. just cuz they look at an other z owner as brother or som thing.
i donno maybe they have more confidance becasue there z has "style or class"
so they can drive any way they want?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Most don't know Z

people who own early Z's, know stuff about the history is Z cars, and really, people buy 300zx cause they think they are fast ohhhh twin turbo, they got a big rap when they came out, and are fantastic cars, but the drivers don't have the Z sprite... thats how i see it..

·
Registered
168 Posts
My wife had a 90'TT So I can speek as having owned one. They are up to the Fed saftey requirements so they are safe at "normal" speeds, especially with ABS. I think it's the power that gets people in trouble. They are fairly fast even stock. Alot of those mags include cars such as the Miata as a "sports car", it may be, but at an entirely different level and shouldn't be compared to each other. It was the reliability issues that made me hate the car. They are a pain in the ass to work on compared to anything and they do need to be worked on. I'm having a flash back know, AAAAH. They are great cars other than that, although I will always be a 240Z junkie.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Back before federal standards

When I first started getting into the car hobby and going to lots of junkyards, I was horrified at how some of the cars took front impacts. Especially — and by far the worst — were those little flat Porsches of the '70s-'80s. Were they 912s? I don't remember the designation. Anyway, on almost every one of those that hit something front-end first, the hood became a guillotine. It came back, sheared off the roof pillar on one side or the other and ended up — still basically solid — right where the driver or passenger's neck would have been. Brrrrr.

I'm sure this isn't the cause of the 300ZXs safety rating, but it reminded me of it.

By the way, I still study wrecks when I go to the junkyard. And based on the least damage to the passenger compartment in wrecks of all types (front-end, rear end, rollover, etc.) you know what the "safest" car seems to be. The old VW Beetle of all things. I don't know if it's the round shape, or the design, but they seem to have protected drivers all-around better than any other car, at least that I've noticed.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Re:Bugs& convairs

Thats because VW bugs went so slow and they are so light....strong body yes.....If they get hit they tend to bounce more than crumple......I knew of a bug that got blown upside down going 40 MPH by a stong wind....only minor roof damage that was kicked out....
The convair was a crap design in regards to side impacts.....my dad dound that out with a 25 side hit.......Fked him up good...........something to be said for side pillars etc.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wait a minute.

I currently own a 1996 300ZX and a 1970 Fairlady Z (will be gone soon). I just purchased a 1983 280ZX and had a new 1979 280ZX back in 1979. First of all, the Z32s are vastly superior cars in every way that can be objectively measured....acceleration, braking, handling, etc. You name it, if it can be measured and quantified, the Z32 wins hands down. What the Z32 lacks is some of the charm and true sports car nature of the earlier models, especially the 1970-1973 240Zs. I got a real kick out of some of the model bashing going on here. I love all Zs, but for a daily driver, the 96 unquestionably gets the nod. There are actually a lot of the 70-73 owners who think that those years are the only true Z cars and the 74-96 cars are unwanted step-children! I go out of my way to acknowlege all other Zs on the road. I walk up and look at every one I see in a parking lot and enjoy to speaking with their owners. I will confess to having some difficulty picking out the Z31s, especially the 84-87s, from a distance. The 240-280s are immediately recognizable, as are the 79-83s. The 90-96s as well, but I'm driving one. The early Z31s were probably the least destinctive of the Zs and harder to identify and, therfore, to acknowledge, at least for me. I'm sure not having owned one doesn't help either (my nephew just bought an 85 so maybe that will change.) But there is no need to knock ANY model Z or either because of some safety report or you don't like some of the drivers you've encountered.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: Most don't know Z

the bottom line is i would love a nice twin turbo Z ...but i could not afford it.
bottom line
here,
the expence and upkeep is way above my haynes manual expertise!!
i think they rock!!!
will trade a 71z triple mikuni 2.8 5 speed restored for a nice low mile only driven to church on Sunday twin turbo Z
it's all good if it ends with a Zzpeed wrote:
>
> people who own early Z's, know stuff about the history is Z
> cars, and really, people buy 300zx cause they think they are
> fast ohhhh twin turbo, they got a big rap when they came out,
> and are fantastic cars, but the drivers don't have the Z
> sprite... thats how i see it..

·
Registered
949 Posts
Re: Most don't know Z

My brother has TTZ32... last spring when we were all over at (my other brother's house) I was getting my '72 240 started up after a winter sleep in Virginia so I could drive it up to Vermont. We were all there, dad, wife, cousins, kids, etc. My brother had to admit..."That's a **** good looking car" ....of course it is... and of course he had a signal red '73 a long time ago, so he apprecites a good car when he sees one!
If I had my choice between my '72 after I've finished spending the money on it (that I will) or a Z32.... well, there is just no contest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.