ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I FINALLY got my new alternator in...90amp maxima. started the car up to see if everything was connected and started perfectly off a jump. I turned it off to put some more stuff back on and when I went to jump it again I blew a fuse...my question is...

What's the name of the fuse right next to the battery in the black container...it has "Bat (Gr)" written on it. Where can I find another one...Autozone? Napa?
If I go in there and just ask for a "fuse" they won't give me the right thing. Anyone know what its actual name is?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think its a Battery ground but don't take my word for it .hope this helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pretty sure you are talking about the fusible links. You'll more than likely have to hit the dealer to get a new one because as far as I know NAPA or autozone don't carry them.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Don't know what your experience is but if your battery is dead and you can I would charge the battery to full capacity before starting the car again. It's a big time strain on a brand new alternator to charge a dead battery.

I've had to replace the fusable link before and that was the name I used.

A dead fusable link will give you some uniquly strange symptoms.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Also, when I blew my fusable link it was because I hooked up the positive and negative battery cables backwards (smart move for me!).

What does this mean? Make sure that your battery cables aren't hooked up backwards and make sure that if you are jumping this car to get it started that you are placing the jumper cables on the correct posts. It sounds silly but I have seen more then a few people including myself screw it up when they are in a hurry!

I happened to do it when it was 10 degrees outside in a Wal-Mart parking lot trying to swap out the dead battery I was using. I was in such a hurry I cross-connected and blew the fusible link.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, ill try to charge it off another cars battery but i dont have an actual charger. i jumped it the first time and it started right up but the second time i was in a rush and it was dark. i dont think i crossed the wires but they might have touched somethign else or something...plus i put the negative wire on the battery negative instead of on the frame. maybe that did it. how much should a fusable link cost?
anywhere else to get one other than nissan?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there a part number or anything that i can tell the places? i called autozone and nissan...both can order it. nissan was asking what color wire, cap and male or female...autozone sounded less sure about it but said they could order it. i didnt know any numbers or anything to make it more specific. any advice?

·
Registered
131 Posts
its a fuse link box.....and the first fuse is the ingnition fuse...its a wire usually alluminum.....cause it burst's copper can carry too much current and will not blow like a fuse...copper will just get got pass the current on and you end up with a fire in the wiring harness.....and burning up your car

Im waiting for one now from the dealership
bob

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm picking up a new one from the dealership tomorrow...let's hope I can jump it the right way this time!!!
Thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
131 Posts
u can also pick up fuse link wire at most auto zones and make ur own...for what a dealership charges you 6+ bucks down here I bought enough 18 ga and spades to make up 8 of the little bogers....
bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.