ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recemtly got my 77 280z running and had an alrm installed after the alrm was installed. My Brake light and blinkers stop working.We disconnected the alarm and some of the lights started working but the battery was drained. We found out that one of the wires near the battery were fried and half of the fuses in the fuse box were not getting power. We replaced the wire and the fuses started working but the fuel pump would not shut off even when the car was off and the brake lights stayed on. Someone please help I 've run out of ideas.

G

·
0 Posts
That is a tough one and electronics are not my strong point. One thing to consider with the brake lights is, your Z may be missing the little plastic plug that fits in the brake pedal. They rot out and there is nothing to push the pin in so the brake lights stay on. Check out the brake pedal and see if yours is missing. I think the plug is only around $1 at the dealers. Hope this helps. John

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Bad electrical contacts is a very common cause of a multitude of problems in Z cars. They cause many people to start buying expensive new components they don't need. (I'm one of them.) My suggestion to you is to go through EVERY electrical connection under the hood — disconnect bullet connectors, fuel injection plugs, battery terminals, all body ground wires, etc. — one at a time. Then clean both ends of the connector as well as you can with emory paper, steel wool wrapped around a tiny drill (good for fuse holders and bullet connectors), compressed air, whatever. Recrimp or solder any that seem loose or sloppy. Then reconnect. I can almost guarantee the car will run at least 25% better after just doing that — and in a car that's sat for a long time as it sounds like yours might have, I can also almost guarantee that you'll find powdery white corrosion on at least one or two connectors in the process of doing this job.

Of course, the problem could also be related to the installation of the alarm. But try the connector cleaning thing first and see if it doesn't solve the problem. Frying wires (or fuses that melt the fuse box) are a very common result of dirty connections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.