ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With previous advice form forum about how to determine suspect circuit, discovered battery drain went away with removal of dome light fuse on '76 280Z. . Drain seems to be a constant .03 amps with dome circuit fused up. Not exactly sure of all items on this circuit (Lights=map, dome, glove box, under hood service lamp. Other=cigarette lighter, key reminder buzzer, voltmeter, probably more), but for sure voltmeter is included with the list. Is the voltmeter supposed to stay on regardless of key position? All other gauges go dead whenever ignition key is off, but voltmeter continues to display battery voltage at rest. Maybe it is supposed to work this way to show battery status prior to starting. Just trying to search out the source of the drain, and the voltmeter appeared to be a likely suspect. If not the voltmeter, any other ideas? Thanks for the continued support...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The voltmeter gives a reading at all times whether the ignition is turned on or off.

Sorry but no other ideas for you.
Scott.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Both my Zs (74 260 & 75 280) had/have amp meters not voltmeters, and they did not register with the ignition turned off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't forget...

In addition to the volt gauge always being on (I found that strange at first too) you've got a clock going also (provided you have the analog clock). An amperage gauge makes sense not to be reading while car is off since the alternator is not turning and putting out anything to read. The volt meter may put a slight drain, but no more than keeping radio presets in memory I would think.

·
Registered
320 Posts
RE: Don't forget...

Yes, voltmeter is always on.
So is the clock.
So are the radio presets.
Your dome lights, headlights, parking lights also have power with the key off (though these are not on all the time)

If your car battery cannot withstand the constant drain of the voltmeter, clock, and radio, it is time to get a new battery. Yours should be hardy enough to easily supply these tiny amounts of current, and still have the cold cranking amps to turn over your engine. It is possible that your alternator/charging system is not up to the task of keeping your battery in peak condition. This should also be checked out.

Good luck,
Jake
mailto:[email protected]
http://www.ideal-z.com

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks. Was the clock all along...

Continued to check items on the dome light circuit, and became suspicious of the clock after reading how some clocks run intermittently. My clock hasn't moved at all, so began to wonder if it was stuck and maybe drawing more juice than normal. ANYWAY meter showed no drain after disconnecting wiring harness/plug to clock. Should have been an obvious place to start. Thanks again for all the great help...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.