ZCar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of their battery cables connected. There is a midwire crimp that is connected to one of the cables and I am not sure which wire it was connected to. I would think it would be the ground wire but for some reason i don’t remember it that way. Thank you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have a picture of their battery cables connected. There is a midwire crimp that is connected to one of the cables and I am not sure which wire it was connected to. I would think it would be the ground wire but for some reason i don’t remember it that way. Thank you.
If anyone with a stock 81-83 could take a picture of their battery connections, that would be super helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yep. Negative battery cable (engine bay side terminal on a stock car) connect to the negative post on the battery, down to a bolt just below the battery on the battery tray, and then goes to the starter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much. So the black yellow or negative cable has a crimp in the middle of it and connects to the battery box and then goes to the bolt holding the starter in place. Correct?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. Negative battery cable (engine bay side terminal on a stock car) connect to the negative post on the battery, down to a bolt just below the battery on the battery tray, and then goes to the starter.
Which bolt on the starter? The actual starter terminal or the bolt holding the starter to the engine?

Reactions: Asghatn

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here's a photo I took before I changed out my battery cables. The black cable with yellow stripe on the left is the negative cable. The positive cable connects to the top bolt on the starter solenoid

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a photo I took before I changed out my battery cables. The black cable with yellow stripe on the left is the negative cable. The positive cable connects to the top bolt on the starter solenoid

View attachment 107289
When you changed out your cables did you reconnect the battery cable bolt?

·
Registered
145 Posts
All factory mounting points were retained.

The stock negative battery cable is a one piece cable, with a couple of crimped connectors in the middle to account for the bolt on the bottom of the battery tray. The AutoZone cable I bought had the battery terminal on one end, and an eyelet on the other which is bolted below the battery tray. The cable from the underside of the battery tray is bolted under the battery tray to that bolt behind the starter.

Here's a photo of the bolt under the battery tray. I cut my cable just above that crimp connector and placed the new cable from the battery to that bolt behind that bracket. It's still on the list to change the cable from that bolt to the starter, but I'll wait until I replace the starter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Super helpful. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Montyz81, you need to get rid of that battery hold down that you're using. That rubber strap is giving you a false sense of security. They're made out of a very cheap rubber and it will snap it's just a matter of when. If it snaps from a fast curve, or due to an accident, (perish the thought) then the positive battery connection will hit the hood and start arcing. It can cause your car to catch fire. You MUST use a metal hold down frame, either the factory style or a custom one. Personally I only use the stock style because they're tough. That's what is in the attachment. I carry them in stock and your cost is 20.36 with your zcar.com discount. Regular price is 23.95. I don't care where you buy one, just get one on your zx asap. Those rubber ones should be outlawed. Z man of Washington

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Montyz81, you need to get rid of that battery hold down that you're using. That rubber strap is giving you a false sense of security. They're made out of a very cheap rubber and it will snap it's just a matter of when. If it snaps from a fast curve, or due to an accident, (perish the thought) then the positive battery connection will hit the hood and start arcing. It can cause your car to catch fire. You MUST use a metal hold down frame, either the factory style or a custom one. Personally I only use the stock style because they're tough. That's what is in the attachment. I carry them in stock and your cost is 20.36 with your zcar.com discount. Regular price is 23.95. I don't care where you buy one, just get one on your zx asap. Those rubber ones should be outlawed. Z man of Washington View attachment 107294
I have a factory one that am currently using. Not sure where I mentioned any type of tie down. I’m all set. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Monty my mistake, I was going by the big pic of the battery and it wasn't from you, it is actually [email protected] that posted that pic. Thanks for pointing that out. ZMOW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts