ZCar Forum banner

base idle issue?

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  RobertA 
#1 ·
I must have done something wrong, whatever the case, my 91 N/A has some idle issues I read on the NICO forums that you warm the car up, take the acc connector off, start the engine and adjust with a screwdriver.

after I completed the task I took it out for a drive and now it kinda "rumbles" around at 2,000-3,000 rpm I mean it kinda shakes the car at those rpms. any ideas greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
to tell you the truth I am a complete newbie to this car or any for that matter, I thought an Idle issue was going to be a simple DIY,

no I haven't done a balance test, same for the codes I'll get on it! thanks for the help I'll be back with some more insight to the problem

#5 ·
55 means all is clear when it comes to reading the codes from the ecu.

For the balance test, you unplugged each cylinder coilpack one by one to see if the rpm's drop?
Then plugged it back in and moved on to the next, doing all 6 cylinders?

And the engine changed sound/rpm with each pull?

#10 ·
Do as MrPulldown said and check the electrical resistance. It's been a while, but I think it should be around 12 or .12 or something.

Or you can clean up the contacts for both the injector and the coil pack to see what happens.

You can also try switching out the number one cylinder coilpack with say number two coilpack and see if the misfire travels to the number two cylinder. That would indicate a fubar cylinder pack.

#13 ·
so i cleaned the connections to that particular coil pack and it persisted til yesterday I gave it one more good cleaning, must have done the trick! :)

thank you vigman, KyleKidd, Mr.pulldown for the help! much appreciated!

#14 ·
Glad to hear that your car is back to normal...

May I suggest still doing a ohm reading on the injectors though. My thought just being that if you have a failing injector, you can know about it now...

Harbor Freight sells a multi-meter for like $4, and its a good tool to have around for lots of reasons.

Nissan specs allow 10-14ohm resistance on injectors... I've never seen them more than 12.5 or so personally, usually between 10.5-11.5 that I've seen. Either way, all 6 should be within .5 of each other. Since you have designated which one seemed to be missing, you can test the #2 cylinder (closest to drivers side headlight), then compare that reading with the reading from the one you had trouble from.

It is entirely possible that your wiring just wasn't getting a good connection. However its probably just as likely you may find that injector reading not even close to the rest, which would indicate failure.

Very simple test...

#16 ·
Sometimes good things happen....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.