ZCar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! Bought a house in KY, owners deceased, and after looking in the detached shop we found your beautiful 1976 280Z. No absolutely nothing about these cars but I'll give you what info I have. As much as I'd like to keep it you need to sell it for the space.
Based on what the executor told me it has been setting for many many years. ODO says 49k, that's the title says 149k. If I were to guess I think the title may have not had the mileage input correctly by the executor but I'm not 100% sure. It just looks to be in far better condition than 150,000 mile car.

Anyhow I'm just looking for suggestions on an asking price. I will be listing it as soon as I get the title back from transferring it into my name which should be in the next week or so.

Its a 4-speed manual, and with the exception of the wheels what I can tell it is all stock. It does have a sunroof and I'm assuming it's aftermarket but not positive. Leather seats are nice and soft. Doesn't appear to be any rust issues at all on the vehicle just a little surface rust, here and there but absolutely nothing eating through that I could find. All the lights work. It needs a clutch master cylinder I believe. The brakes are pretty stiff so they probably need some work as well. There are no dents on the vehicle that I can find maybe a couple small minor falls here and there but overall really nice! I tried to get it started and it only will run on starting fluid but it appears to run very smoothly. I put a new battery in it and try to do a little troubleshooting and I am getting some voltage at the injectors. From what I've read it is probably just a drop resistors but I couldn't find a place to buy them.

So it doesn't a little work here and there probably not much to get it on the road.

Please see the pictures attached and let me know if there's any pertinent info I have not added that would help you folks to give me some pricing ideas.

Thank you for your time!

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,725 Posts
What the underside looks like is important, but if it was on concrete and not a dirt floor, it may be in decent condition. The condition of the chassis rails and floorboards is important. Given the vehicle's age, 149K is possible...which might explain having the seats re-done.

The fuel system will need to be removed and cleaned from front to back, including having the fuel tank dropped and cleaned. There will be work needed on fuel systems, braking systems, and probably some work underneath.

It appears the seats have been re-upholstered, and the side view of the steering wheel looks like it has been replaced or had some kind of weird cover installed. There is visible additional wiring on the engine, but that can no doubt be sorted out.

May we assume you have the title to the vehicle as well? If not, perhaps the lawyers involved in the sale can provide an appropriate ownership document.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info pilgrim.

It very well may have 149k on it. It has been stored inside a metal barn with concrete floors and actually a large piece of carpet. The below pic is how I found it. Apparently it has been sitting for somewhere between 20 years or more. I'll also try and get some pics underneath.

I did blow out the fuel lines and put a new filter on with fresh fuel. I forgot to mention, but there is fuel pressure at the rail and there is some voltage at the injector connectors. At this point I don't want to spend much time on it as we are still trying to settle into this place and need the extra space. However, if I could find a place to get a quick set of drop resistors it might be a quick thing to try.

That would stink if the seats had been reupholstered. I hope not. The steering wheel does not have a cover on it. It appears to be some sort of texture - not sure.

I should have the title back in a week or so.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Mine rusted underneath while in an unheated garage. Things like hydraulics for brake and clutch will need to be replaced. Prices have gone through the roof. I would get it running and road worthy, detail it then ask upwards of $20,000 unless the asking prices are not actually being met. Look into bringatrailer. They seem to get high prices for cars. They also have historical auction prices that you can look at.

Actually, I would fix it and drive it. Those seats were recovered. Look at other wear items like pedals and steering wheel to get an idea of mileage. 149k perhaps but not 49. Regardless, mileage doesn't matter unless it's low and documented. Condition does.

These speedometers don't have enough digits to show 100k and are easy to swap and frequently been swapped because they started jumping or something.

Repairs to get it running shouldn't be very expensive even if you pay for the work but you need an old mechanic that knows the fuel injection system. A kid at the parts store here was "told" by a mechanic that the AFM was bad & that several other parts needed to be changed. He did and it still didn't work. I pointed him towards the FSM and he figured it out. It was very minor stuff but he'd already spent a lot on unnecessary parts.

Where are you? I'm in the beginning process of having a metal pole barn built.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info and advice junkman! I do wish I could spend more time on it and get a higher price, but I really don't unless I can somehow figure out how I can store it for another day to work on.

Any thoughts on what I should ask as is locally?

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,725 Posts
That could potentially be worth thousands. If the overall condition is good, I'd be talking with an expert about pricing.

And I would not try to use fuel out of that gas tank under any circumstances. It's far past its "use by" date.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
prices can be all over the place. Not running clearly brings it down, roof window brings it down a lot. the rest depends on rust that can only be seen if you get it up on a lift. Also need to pull back carpet on floor boards and spare wheel well.

Still besides rust the biggest hit will be the roof. Best bet would be to just get as many pictures as possible with a very critical eye, then list on BAT or ebay and let the market decide.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow, I'd be thrilled at first glance to find that on my property...but then the sunroof, to me at least, is a huge bummer. The good- it looks really , really nice and that makes for a great impression when selling.
Now, back to real-ville. The interior looks good so even though it's not original that wouldn't bother me much at all, however, the fact that it's not really a runner as it sits and that it has a big aftermarket hole in the roof.... It appears to have been repainted too if I'm seeing right. Originally silver?
I might go $4K if I saw it in person and it's really solid rustwise..
It would definitely be worthwhile to get it roadworthy. You would probably quadruple the estimate with a solid driver, even with the hole in the roof.
Personally, my feet wouldn't touch the ground for a week if I opened that building that I just bought and found that sitting there. It looks great.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Wow, that'a gem of a car! for the fact that it was just sitting in an attached shop that just happened to be under the home you just moved into. the car practically came with the house and you didn't have to pay $20,000 for a classic Z! you really lucked out. its a steal.... even if it may have some problems. looks like it was well maintained by the PO (RIP)
if you ever end up not wanting it, I'll take it off your hands! hehehe

start here for all the knowledge you'll ever need on owning, maintaining, and driving a 1st generation Z car: read read read!

www.xenonzcar.com (S30 section)

cheers,

Bon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info pilgrim.

It very well may have 149k on it. It has been stored inside a metal barn with concrete floors and actually a large piece of carpet. The below pic is how I found it. Apparently it has been sitting for somewhere between 20 years or more. I'll also try and get some pics underneath.
View attachment 108592
View attachment 108591

I did blow out the fuel lines and put a new filter on with fresh fuel. I forgot to mention, but there is fuel pressure at the rail and there is some voltage at the injector connectors. At this point I don't want to spend much time on it as we are still trying to settle into this place and need the extra space. However, if I could find a place to get a quick set of drop resistors it might be a quick thing to try.

That would stink if the seats had been reupholstered. I hope not. The steering wheel does not have a cover on it. It appears to be some sort of texture - not sure.

I should have the title back in a week or so.
Would love to buy that for my son. Let me know what you are thinking as a price. You can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congratulations on your "Barn Find". From the photo's it looks like a 77 or 78 based on the bumpers. The Sunroof will subtract value as well as the engine wiring and it's non running (except for starter fluid) condition. Need to be careful resurrecting an engine sitting for 20 years if not done properly the lack of lubrication from sitting can really damage the engine. Well sorted pristine first gen 280z's can bring 20k plus money but you will have to spend some to get that here. Also Hagerty price guide can give you some help with a price. Yes prices are trending up and it's a great time to be a Z owner.

Pete

·
Registered
573 Posts
Where in KY?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congratulations on your "Barn Find". From the photo's it looks like a 77 or 78 based on the bumpers. The Sunroof will subtract value as well as the engine wiring and it's non running (except for starter fluid) condition. Need to be careful resurrecting an engine sitting for 20 years if not done properly the lack of lubrication from sitting can really damage the engine. Well sorted pristine first gen 280z's can bring 20k plus money but you will have to spend some to get that here. Also Hagerty price guide can give you some help with a price. Yes prices are trending up and it's a great time to be a Z owner.

Pete
Agree. Quite a find! The bumpers are definitely '77/'78. If the clock says "Quartz", it's a '78. The horn button however looks to be '76. So who knows?
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
178 Posts
Agree. Quite a find! The bumpers are definitely '77/'78. If the clock says "Quartz", it's a '78. The horn button however looks to be '76. So who knows?
Thanks,
Bob
A '76 did not come with a louvered hood.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts