ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I posted a question about a loud banging in the rearend of my'77 280z when there is exesive play in the gas pedal. There were a few responses about what could be causing it. One possibility was the strap in the front of the diff. might have been broken and another was bad bushings in the mustach bar on the back of the diff. I just replaced the bushings in the mustach bar so I dont think that is the problem but it is still a possibility because it doesn't quite look right, the bushings are some what squished around. The limiter strap in the front does not apear to be broke. Those are the only two possibilities I can think of but It still makes the niose. Please help me.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Ya check the diff. mount?

Its probably the differential mount that is letting it bang like that. If you position yourself under your car and look at the nose of the differential, you notice a piece of steel flat stock which is a counter weight of some sort and if you take the weight off (couple of bolts) of the nose of the Differential, the differential mount will be seen. Dont push up on the nose of the differential thinking it will move up because you cant push the differentail upward without a lot of force even if the mount is torn loose. Now it will probably look just fine to you, but the rubber used for vibration dampening is more than likely separated from the mount which lets the differential move quite abruptly theirfore making very bad clunking sounds. If not that It could be something to do with the struts in the back. Good Luck

·
Registered
270 Posts
HAHA!! Check the bushings....

It is probably a combination of the diff mount and the mustache bar bushings. I had the same problem and it was the diff mount bushings. I replaced the bushings with the solid ureathane ones. Since I had to take out the diff I replaced the diff mount with the solid one from Motorsport. It made the rear end really solid. >

Hope this helps..

Tony

Sorry, hehe.

> My 83 zxt does it to in reverse, and when
> shifting on hard accelleration. I am going
> to check the diff. mount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.