ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I own a 1973 240z and I want to replace the balljoints and tierod ends do I need any special tool for this job? Do I need to press the ball joints back in t place?
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ball joints bolt in, tie rod ends unscrew, simple! Mark location of old tie rod, so new one will be in same position, so you can drive to get a wheel alignment.
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Popping the tie-rod ends out is a real pain in the ass. I rented a tierod end puller from Pep Boys for free, but it was for american cars and didn't fit too well. It took me several hours of cussing and fussing to pop them out. And then they went flying across the room!

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Balljoint replacement</b>

There is a tool called a "pickle fork", which is a wedged fork that allows you to separate both the tie rod ends and the ball joing from the light press fitting. The two take different size forks. The manual version of the fork is used with a hammer. There is also another version which fits an air chisel if you happen to own one of those. I do, and it typically takes about 3 or 4 seconds with that tool to separate. Other than that, it is a piece of cake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.