ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am looking at some am wheels designed for the rustang...but my understanding is that the hub sizes are different. so they will work perfectly fine if i have adapters? or am i totally lost here? not spacers, but the adapters like in this link:
http://www.miata.net/garage/hubcentric.html
how much are adapters like this and where should i get them?
thanks.
dave

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
I think those or something like them would work. You just dont want all the stress on the lugs alone. Although - I know of pple who are running the wheels w/o hub sleeves and no problem (although I would not recommend that)

Post Edited (Jan 22, 12:58pm)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone found them for a reasonable price? what size do i need?
thanks

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I am not understanding this. When I remove my stock Nissan wheel the only contact is a flat hub area and the only thing pressing the wheel onto it and holding it on the car are the five studs and nuts.

What do the hub rings actually do?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
the stock wheel "rests" on that hub contact. The studs help hold the wheel on, but the stress from the car is placed on the hub, not the studs. The hub centric spacers required for aftermerket wheels are needed because most aftermartet wheels have a hub rinng that is too large, therefore the spacer fills in the gap between the hub and the new wheel.

If you look at the link frm Beeman at the top, the pictures explain it pretty well

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont think the contact between the hub and the wheel is so much for supporting the weight of the vehicle as it is to align the wheel properly. In order for the hub to support weight, the wheel and hub would have to be a tight (slight interference) fit. The hole on the wheel is slightly larger than the hub (not interference). I would suspect that when the lugs are torqued down, the wheel and the hub arent actually in contact.
Hub spacers that i have seen are usually nylon, not somthing i would want supporting the weight of my Z. Under normal circumstances i dont think the hub provides support, but i do think they design hubs/wheels this way as an added factor of safety, so if the lugs came loose or some broke or whatever, the wheel would still stay centered on the hub.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
well yes, it's main purpose is to keep it centered around the hub, but since the spacer is round, it exerts equal pressure on all sides. Therefore is relieves a small bit of the stress from the lugs. The material of the spacer issn't important to ho much lod it can handle in this situation. . .you ever hear/do the experiment of putting equal pressure on al sides of an egg? An egg shell can take a crapload of pressure equally from all sides without cracking. same rule applies since the spacer has nowhere to go, all pressure is exerted equally. They may not touch at all times, but when enough pressure is exerted on the lugs, I'm sure it may save some lugs from snapping.

but you're right though, its main purpose is to center the wheel on the hub as opposed to relying on the lugs

Post Edited (Jan 23, 10:29am)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.