ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 83 turbo and when I start this car up on a cold morning it gives a sustained higher pitched sqeal until it gets a little warmed up. It also pukes smoke and detonates when I get to about 4 grand - performance is sometimes real peaky- I never get much noise out of the car other times. There are 209,567 miles on the car. By the way a 96 Corolla gave me a real hard time last week. This car runs pretty well other then the crappy accel. It's been well maintained.

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I've got an 83 turbo and when I start this
> car up on a cold morning it gives a
> sustained higher pitched sqeal until it gets
> a little warmed up. It also pukes smoke and
> detonates when I get to about 4 grand -
> performance is sometimes real peaky- I never
> get much noise out of the car other times.
> There are 209,567 miles on the car. By the
> way a 96 Corolla gave me a real hard time
> last week. This car runs pretty well other
> then the crappy accel. It's been well
> maintained.
Give me a call if you like. We have several turbo cars, just got another one in tonight. Will check
turbo out for you, or could get rebuilt for you. Joe 1-800-533-5659

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> Sounds like a bad turbo, the bearings have worn excessively. You can get rebuilts for about $400, then replace the oil feed line for about $70 ( part from dealer), new gaskets and keepers $20 ( from dealer) .

The big challenge for me was getting the exahust pipe off of the cast iron turbo exhasut tube.

If you are a do it yourself person, my suggestion is to put a rebuilt on it( they warrant them for 1 year), because it is a pain in the ole aXX to get it off and put one on.

Good luck

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> The big challenge for me was getting the
> exahust pipe off of the cast iron turbo
> exhasut tube.

> If you are a do it yourself person, my
> suggestion is to put a rebuilt on it( they
> warrant them for 1 year), because it is a
> pain in the ole aXX to get it off and put
> one on.

> Good luck
Hey guys, thanks for the info!! That was what I thought the problem was. That oil feed line was something I hadn't thought about, though. If I install a turbo timer on the car does that come with an oil feed line? Letting the car cool everytime I go somewhere is getting real old and I know when my girl starts driving the car she will rag about it too. I called Turbo-Auto east about a stage 1 T03/T04 hybrid and got a price of about 590. They state the output to be 20 to 30 percent higher then stock. I was thinking about getting this and an intercooler. I need to know how to get the boost up to about 9 or 10. This ought to be safe with the 200,000 plus on the car, shouldn't it? It really does run well other then the low power when I kick it. I also wonder about replacing the exhaust out of the car(down pipe?) for better flow. Any info would be great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.