ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here is what is happening to my car. While i am driving down any road my car seems to want to follow the ruts or the lines on the road. It's really weird. It is getting to be so bad that i don't even think that it's safe to drive the car. does anyone have this same problem or ever have it. it seems like the car has a mind of it's own.

thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When was the last time you had this car aligned?
A bit of this "problem" is to be expected, you're in a sports car, not a minivan. You want the car to be low? You want wide tires? You want good handling on the turns? You have to sacrifice some straight line stability, it's simple.
Maybe your SS springs are throwing the specs way off, or the car may have been in a bad accident you're not aware of, the chassis is bent, and badly repaired.
Go for an alignment first.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
my SS does the same thing, but not "dangerous". Id say its darty. Im trying to find a good shop to do the alignment and hopefully that will fix it. my 86 was sorta floaty and a alignment tightened her right up. Im hoping for the same results on my 88

·
Registered
26 Posts
Get underneath the thing and yank on the tie rod ends and see if they are sloppy. If they are replace and realign.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Inspect your Rack N Pinion

These get worn out and generally need to be replaced between 70-100,000k. If you have high miles I can almost guarantee you need to replace yours

They are infamous for having defective boots

Mine went out at 70K and my car was bouncing all over the road

I had the rack n pinion replaced along with the outer tie rods, lower ball joints, and full alignment

car handles like a dream now....oh, my steering wheels actually straight :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I had a set of bridgestones on the front when I first bought my car. It tracked a little bad. However, it was worn tie rod end and alignment.

It was fine until I replaced my tires. I didn't notice on good smooth roads still tracked fine. However, on uneven or rutted surfaces it was darty or would follow every rut. I actually, thought it was just kinda the way the car was.

I just replaced the tires again. I bought BFG G force. This tire has a center rib so I figured it would track the ruts. WTF, no tracking. It doesn't seem to follow the ruts / tracks nearly as bad.

So, I take to the known road where I would normally fight the car to stay straight and you know what ..... I didn't deflect like it did before. It was just bumpy. The steering wheel wasn't being moved around.
Now, I didn't get a new alignment or anything.

I love the way the car tracks now! Big improvement. I wish I would have figured this out 20K or so earlier. I would have dumped the Yoko A008 much sooner. I always thought the Yoko were a great tire. This was the first time I owned one .... I will be a little more careful in the future.

Conclusion - Our cars are sensitive to tread design as well. If you get a chance you might want to try a different tread design from what you have now. I really like that BFG G- Force on the Front. I have Goodyear GSC's on the back........ Or should I say had ..... since I just sold the car last week and I am just waiting for the new owner to pick it up.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I have kuhmo Ecstas or something. previous owner had them put on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
like always, i thank you all for replies. I will have it aligned again and see what happens. I also just bought some poly bushings and a 1deg camber kit from msa. I will check the steering parts again and post new to let you know what goes on. Oh yeah, the car never had that problem before.. it just started like two months ago. drives me crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.