ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. I’ve got an issue with my 87’ 300zx, which I suspect to be the power steering pump. When turning the wheel whether you are stationary or moving, the wheel sometimes turns freely as it should with a fully working power steering system, but intermittently, the wheel becomes very hard to turn like the power steering has stopped. It goes between these two states very rapidly. Also, the whole time when turning the wheel whether it’s hard to turn or easy, there is this horrible screeching noise of what I assume to be the pump trying its hardest to function and not being able to. I don’t know what it might be, and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys. -Retro

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sounds like the pump may be bad because of the screeching. However the intermittent hard to easy steering could be a steering wheel column universal going bad.

To test it, stand outside the car and turn the steering wheel back and forth 2 inches. If the steering wheel can turn a little with too much play before the front wheels actually turn, then check the, i believe, 2 universals in the steering column.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the pump may be bad because of the screeching. However the intermittent hard to easy steering could be a steering wheel column universal going bad.

To test it, stand outside the car and turn the steering wheel back and forth 2 inches. If the steering wheel can turn a little with too much play before the front wheels actually turn, then check the, i believe, 2 universals in the steering column.
Hey man thanks for the suggestion! I haven’t really looked into anything very in depth yet, but I will say there doesn’t seem to be any real play in the steering wheel before the wheels start to turn. I don’t know if that helps any! Thanks -Retro

·
Registered
51 Posts
Screeching could also be the belt slipping on the pulleys. This could also explain why the power steering cuts in and out. Check belt tension and check the belt for wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts