ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the car is cold and starts up, there is a sort of whirring noise for a while until the car is warm, so I was thinking it could be a bad idler pulley.

Now, I heard that a bad idler pulley would also cause a clicking noise, or would cause the car to jolt/hesitate.

If the idler pulley was bad, would this "whirring" noise go away once the car is warm? I also have no clicking noise or hesitation due to it (it gets quiet once it's warm).

I plan on taking the timing belt cover off later to check out the belt and see if it is worn at all. (just did the 60k btw)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Based on your description it sounds like an overtensioned timing belt. I have heard this a couple of times and it was related to the amount of tension applied to the timing belt upon installation. How long has it been since your timing belt was changed and has the noise been there since it was changed?

The belt will eventually stretch and the noise will go away but it can also cause failure of the bearings in the idler pullies due to the additional stress being put on them. If bearing failure happens, the idler will sieze resulting in a broken timing belt. An overtightened belt can also cause the studs on the idler pullies to snap off.

Again, this is based only on your description but to be safe I would inspect the tension on the belt and I would highly recommend resetting the tension if you have any doubt at all.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.