ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i took the Z into the shop th get the compression tested on it, and found out that i'm only running 4lbs of compression on the left side. Now i'm stuck and have no where to go next.

I don't want to take it to the Nissan dealership but i really don't know where else to turn.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Why are you surprised? Basically everyone with experience told you what to expect.

You have melted your valves, most likely. You must pull the head on that bank of cylinders and replace the valves that are burnt. While you're at it you may as well pull both heads, have a machine shop clean them up and do a valve job, replace the damaged valvetrain components and rebuild the top end of the engine. Until that happens, your car is a lawn ornament. Sorry man.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
I know there is quite a bit of sting to this and I feel for ya. But we told you what you were in for. There are steps you can take, now take them and LEARN from this. Mashing the pedal on a stage III TT, fun but if you don't know what your doing or what can happen is a dangerous combination. I wish you the best of luck.....

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Easy here folks .......

Mr. TTeNAcious Z.... I am sorry that the readings are bad now to decide on the next step you really need to pull the head on the bank of cylinders that have the low compression and examine BOTH the valves and piston tops. If the valves are burnt but the piston tops are intact you can shop e-bay for a head or have yours re-worked. It is adviseable to do both heads at the same time but if you are short on cash you can do one side. Questions...Can you post the individual cylinder readings for both sides? That will help. Next, just by chance did you re-locate or bypass the detonation sensor?
MaxDoc

·
Registered
357 Posts
ill give you $50 bucks for he car lol but for real sell it to me for $50 bucks

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MaxDoc, thanks for the info. on where to look and what to do about it now... I just got the reading back from the shop of the compression... The test read that cyl. #2 is only running 2lbs. The rest of the cylinders are fine.

The only thing i can think of is the valve is either bent or got something lodged in it.

I guess i'm going to have to take it to the Nissan Dealership and have them do the repair since nobody in the Greenville, NC area wants to mess with twin turbo engines.

I'm guess this repair is gonna cost 3 grand or more. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey kid... the shift knob alone is worth 50 bucks... if you want a turbo Z try putting a few more zeros at the end of the five zero

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
yeah..add two more zeros to that 50 and then subtract 1000 to 2000 more and you have a TT....well luke's anyways.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
No problem for the assist....

Its doubful the valve is bent. My guess is its burnt. Once the head is off do take the time and inspect the turbo as well, particularly the turbine vanes.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Maxdoc.

I'm gonna take it in this week and get them to fix it. About how long does something like this take to repair, a few days, weeks, or a month??

I'll give ya'll an update once i take it into NISSAN

·
Registered
357 Posts
TTeNAcious Z: Im just balls busting i know you still could get a cuple grand for it. I also know that i would love to have your car the way it is for $50 buck and i also know finding someone to work on a Z is like trying to find a TT for $50 bucks. when in NC do you live. I have a Good friend how is on bass in NC (he is a marine) he will if you some one other then the dealer the fix your car. he works at a shop on the side which he is going to be buy soon. i bet thay will fix it for you for a better price then the deal.
dont let me forget to say he is the one how got me LOVING 300zx's

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
You know honestly, unless you have loads of cash waiting around for incidents such as this, you should start pulling things apart yourself.

The plenum really isn't that hard to pull off, I had mine completely off with all the connectors labeled and placed aside in an 1 hour and 6 minutes. Granted, I don't have the EGR or AIV to worry about unplugging, but that's not too bad to deal with either.

You should at least get the plenum off before sending it to nissan. If they're going to pull the head, you might as well start the process before hand as they're going to be charging ~80-90 an hour for labor. To replace 2 valve cover gaskets, I was quoted $1550.

And really once the plenum is off, you probably wouldn't have too much difficulty with the rest either. Just do everything you can short of actually removing the head (unless you want to do that too), and then have it towed to nissan. You could easily save yourself several hundred dollars doing this.

Just keep in mind this is going to cost a LOT at nissan.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i've already considered my options, and knowing that i myself can't do this sort of procedure due to the fact that i don't have a garage, the right tools, and someone of knowledge to help me. I also don't have any automotive garages around here that are willing to put in the wrench time to fix it. So basically that leaves me with one place, the STEALERship

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.