ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 280Z. I've posted this prob before but I think I may have it narrowed down. After my car warms up it starts to cut out every once in a while, almost like I'm taking my foot off the gas for a second then it resumes as usual. So far I've changed my fuel filter, my fuel pressure regulator and my fuel pump. After I changed my fuel pump it stopped happening for a few days but now its starting to happen again. Tonight I'm going to test my AFM and TPS (going by what my factory service manual says). Could this just be a bad coil that starts to cut out after it heats up? What are some indicators of a bad coil?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Sounds electrical. Could be the trignition unit (computer that controls ignition timing). The characteristic of when it fails is that the car will cut out suddenly, without warning, and it is heat-related. It is just as you describe, but unless you want to get out an oscilliscope and have it hooked up while driving, ther eis no test. You just have to replace it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply John. I changed my trignition unit about 6 months ago. I'll go ahead and replace my coil, I 've priced it at $19.00 so its not a problem. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.