ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 turbo. She misses bad when idling, fluctuating irregulary from 400-1000 rpm. Also falters baddly under acceleration and while cruising at low speeds. I think its the coil because the faltering cuts in and out instantly and irregulary and it gets better at high rpms. It is also getting progressively worse, cant hardly drive anymore. wires and plugs, cap, rotor all near new and appear good. Am I off base??

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
could be the ignition secondary but a fluctuating idle and misfire at idle is a good indicator of a lean fuel mix. ie, vacuum leak. check the spark at the coil wire, if you get a blue spark that will jump 1/2 inch or so, the coil is ok.

·
Registered
880 Posts
run the codes... check for a vacuum leak like chezam said... good luck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
THis may not be your coil. Coils go all the way out, or not at all. Check your vacuum lines, especially the ones at the firewall. Also, how's your CHTS? If it's bad, it 'll show up in your ECU Codes as code 13.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Check the 2 wires going into the side of the coil, mine were all frayed and were grounding out on the body, this could be your problem. If the engine has never been rebuilt, you could have a combination of problems such as a cracked drivers side exhaust manifold and an intake manifold leak. maybe even a Stuck EGR. I agree with petjag about the coils, coils are simple an iron core wrapped with magnetic wire thousands of times, they dont really wear or go bad.

just my 2 cents

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.