ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My parents are on the verge of selling my Z and before they sell it with a bad clutch, I want to just get your opinions. The clutch is definitely not what it used to be, but I don't know if it's just an old worn out clutch or if it could be the slave cylinder leaking or something. The clutch engages everytime but is very sketchy when getting into first gear if I don't give it a lot of gas (and don't blame the driver...I've been driving my Z the same way for a year and it's progressively gotten worse over time without me changing). The clutch sticks right above engagement point too although I'm not sure if this is related at all. I can still get into gear every time but under what I would consider to be a normal amount of gas to get into 1st the car often bucks and almost stalls. Ironically, it's very easy to drive slowly up a hill in 1st with only a small amount of gas and clutch which I would think would be very hard on a dead clutch. I know this message may sound a little convoluted but if anyone can give me the symptoms of a normal worn out clutch versus a leak or some other problem that would be great. Also, what would the price probably be for a new clutch, I'm thinking like $500, right? Thanks to everyone who helps.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
To test for a worn out clutch, put it in 3rd gear, hold it at 3000rpms, and then pedal it. If you feel a quick jump in Revs, it's definetly slipping.

You can bleed the clutch system and see if that will help, sometimes the old fluid can be bad. You can adjust the clutch pedal at the master cylinder, and sometimes this will help. You'll either need to screw it in our out at the clutch pedal. Take a look and you'll understand.

Also I think there is a section on this is your Haynes manual.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
sounds like you have gotten hot spots or burns on your clutch disc and because of that its chattering excessively. Thats why it needs more gas to make it engage smoother. If the clutch is old the best thing you can do is live with it or replace it. If its relatively new, then good driving can sometimes get rid of hotspots with time, if they aren't very bad. sounds like yours are bad though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.