ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
i just got my first car, an '81 280 zx and have been visiting this site since.
i've fixed lot's so far, but my brakes are spongy and hardly work on the first pedal depression , then work fine on the next try, i've bled the brakes and noticed that not much fluid was coming out and also found some particles in the fluid.
master cylinder?
bad lines?
argh???

, Ryan

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, ive bled them a few times so i don't think theres air in the lines.
no-matter what technique.
could it be anything else.
, Ryan
ps-it's my daily driver and it's starting to get dangerous out there

· Registered
5,716 Posts
Hate to say it, but you probably need to rebuild the calipers front and back. After time, especially if a car sits, brake fluid tends to attract moisture, which corrodes the insides of calipers, thus the dirt that you see coming out. The quickest way is to buy rebuilt calipers (and possibly master cylinder) from a local Kragen, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. and just swap them out with the old ones. It takes longer, but is cheaper, to rebuild them yourself. Not hard if you have a good manual. Either way, I suggest dismantling and thoroughly cleaning master cyl at the same time, then flushing brake lines with NEW brake fluid until they are clear before installing new calipers. You will have brake fluid everywhere, including your hair, shoes, driveway, half the street — but the car will stop like it's new.

· Registered
5,829 Posts
I would really watch the rebuilt stuff from Kragen, they are not the best quality. I replaced two master cylinders, three starters, and I forget the number of batteries that would not get past the first 2 year warranty period.

· Registered
655 Posts
First try replace all the brake fluid and reblead the brakes. Make sure your helper depresses the pedal fully and releases to the full rest positon when pumping the brakes up. Also check close for any leaks. (Do you lose any fluid?) If this cheap fix still yeilds no results the cylinders need rebuilding. (master and calipers would be recommended). I recently had a rusted out brake line so check close!
Enjoy the ride!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.