ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is just the opposite as the previous post, it started dripping oil last summer and the mechanic estimated it was coming from the rear main seal. It's a slow drip, but I hate wasting good oil, and it just sorta stinks when your car goes from being perfect to dripping oil. How hard is it to replace the rear main seal? The mechanic estimated it was a $300 job just for a stupid slow leak.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It is not too hard to replace the rear seal. Could yours be the tranny seal though, the front one? Mine leaked and I did not find out til I got it apart, I also thought it was the rear. To replace it, you have to pull the tranny and then the flywheel and clutch. Not a big deal, I guess though you need a special driver to put it in, but I do not see why. It would probably take a couple hours to do. Oh, check the pan bolts also, oil pan that is, mine leaked also and it made it look like the rear seal as well. That only take a couple minutes to tighten up.
Joshua L.

Don't worry about a slow leak, what it does for you is continuisly change your oil, you will NEVER have to change it again! :) (don't you wish)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Mine is just the opposite as the previous
> post, it started dripping oil last summer
> and the mechanic estimated it was coming
> from the rear main seal. It's a slow drip,
> but I hate wasting good oil, and it just
> sorta stinks when your car goes from being
> perfect to dripping oil. How hard is it to
> replace the rear main seal? The mechanic
> estimated it was a $300 job just for a
> stupid slow leak.
If you can get the car to Portland, we will put a new clutch, and change the rear seal for 300.00.
Seriously, we have done a lot of clutches, they take 1.5 - 2 hours, and that is an excellent time to be changing the rear main seal. We always put in the seal, unless owner is broken down, with no money, and we are feeling sorry for them.
Nissan seals are 20something, and aftermarket seals are 10something.
I drove a toyota to alaska, and went through 24 quarts of oil in 2500 miles from a rear main seal being out! I would have fixed it, but it kept the dust down on the highway behind us. Oh, my younger, braver days. We used to tell them to fill the oil, and check the gas. take care, Joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the clutch is relatively new, no need for a new one of those. I'm in SoCal, not an easy trip up to Portland, I'm afraid. Not a fast leak, I think it will end up being easier to add oil between changes than to tear that sucker apart.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
My rear seal leaks, and it has now gotten on the clutch, and the clutch is getting grabby. Don't put it off too long, or you'll end up ruining the clutch.

Chris

> Well, the clutch is relatively new, no need
> for a new one of those. I'm in SoCal, not an
> easy trip up to Portland, I'm afraid. Not a
> fast leak, I think it will end up being
> easier to add oil between changes than to
> tear that sucker apart.

·
Registered
403 Posts
> My rear seal leaks, and it has now gotten on
> the clutch, and the clutch is getting
> grabby. Don't put it off too long, or you'll
> end up ruining the clutch.

> Chris
Chris is right, it will kill your clutch if the oil starts getttin onto it. Do it soon. If you do it yourself, rather than buying a use once them shelf tool, either try renting one from checker/autozone etc. or This works too, take the oil filter, and use a can opener on it and cut out the middle section (keep the shell intact, and make sure you don't leave any edges) It is the perfect size to drive in the seal (rear anyways) so grease up the inside well of the seal, (I recommend synthetic myself but it's your call) either use grease on the outside of it, or better still brush on aviation gasket compound (not much mind you) and drive it on carefully with the oil filter shell (which will be destroyed in the process but you were gonna pitch it anyways) The surface on the shell needs to be free of sharp edges so you might have to do some filing to get it that way. And once you grease the inside well, put it on the end of the crankshaft properly, then clean the outside carefully if you're using sealer rather than grease, and apply it at that time it's alot easier. Also, you may wish to pull the oil pan and do the side seals on the rearmost main bearing cap, sucks, but what better time to do it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.